Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to clone a bootcamp drive

My Bootcamp partition woks well enough on my Early 2008 MacPro Tower....Windows XP pro runs whatever I try, running big programs is the only slow part, loading takes awhile...so I want to clone this partition to a new SSD drive...I've replaced all my other SATA drives with SSDs, and loading times drop precipitously......so, how to do it? Disk Utility wont format my new SSD to NTFS, only FAT...and when I run carbonCopyCloner, it says this wont be bootable. Bootcamp will do it, but it wants me to create a USB drive with all the bootcamp software installed first, and a windows install disk I may not be able to find anymore. I suppose I can create a USB drive with Bootcamp software, stop it just after it reformats to NTFS, then run CarbonCopyCloner, but this seems a pretty cumbersome solution. Anyone know a better way? just a good free program to reformat a drive to NTFS would work, I just havent found one...

I will raise a Toast to the writer of the best solution.....

(Actually, I thought of the program "Toast" but it only formats DVDs....)

Jim

ps, running the must recent Mountain Lion.

Posted on Sep 3, 2013 6:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2013 5:49 AM

you should invest in WinClone 4 $39 was reviewed http://www.macwindows.com

It is done from inside Mac to another hard drive

You need Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X to partition and format or write to NTFS and is the best driver but you won't get CCC to make a bootable and restore image. CampTuneX from Paragon can resize and supports boot camp but I never used CTX.

For a Windows only disk and to do a CCC-style clone, Paragon HDM 12 does the job perfectly, SSD to HD and reverse. They also have had "Clone OS to SSD" utility.

Paragon does have support for Macs and Boot Camp.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2013 5:49 AM in response to Jim King

you should invest in WinClone 4 $39 was reviewed http://www.macwindows.com

It is done from inside Mac to another hard drive

You need Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X to partition and format or write to NTFS and is the best driver but you won't get CCC to make a bootable and restore image. CampTuneX from Paragon can resize and supports boot camp but I never used CTX.

For a Windows only disk and to do a CCC-style clone, Paragon HDM 12 does the job perfectly, SSD to HD and reverse. They also have had "Clone OS to SSD" utility.

Paragon does have support for Macs and Boot Camp.

Sep 4, 2013 4:45 PM in response to The hatter

I've used the Paragon tools on my old MacBook Pro, and they all worked perfectly for me. I haven't done anything with migrating from an HDD to sn SSD though.

Another thing to consider if you want "free" is to use CLonezilla. I have used it to clone a MBP HDD which had both MacOS and Boot Camp installed. The clone worked perfectly for me, but that was 3 or more years ago...

Sep 4, 2013 8:47 PM in response to Jim King

Go Organic XP,

Lifted from a 2009 article on lifehacker lifehacker.com/5195783/format-a-usb-drive-as-ntfs-in-windows-xp

"Windows XP does have the ability to format drives with the NTFS file system, but you wouldn't know it by looking at the format dialog—normally the option is disabled.

To enable it, open up Device Manager and find your USB drive, go to the Properties -> Policies tab and then choose "Optimize for performance". Once you've done this, you'll see the NTFS option in the format dialog.

Readers should be warned, however, that once you've enabled write caching you will need to use the Safely Remove Hardware dialog to avoid losing data—though once you format the drive as NTFS you can switch the write caching back off."

Remember to use the Then try the carbon copy cloner method

If carboncopy cloner gives you the same message, follow this link to the Microsoft resolution section on running sys to move the core boot files to the new drive
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314057

The article has some good relevant reminders on the XP command specifics.

XP was fun, but (I bet you heard this before) Remember to keep the XP machine away from the internet, away from email, away from documents, image content, audio codec's, you only have about 50,000,000 threats your totally vulnerable to and for which no way exists to not be impacted.

If you partake in un-trustable user space content in XP and don’t isolate yourself, your safe behaviors won’t save your machine from exploit. If it connects to XP thumb drives, CD's, well, everything is exploitable

Not a judgment call on windows XP, just a fact based reflection of the territory in which you indicate the machine will have to live in.

If you get it working, you may be able to run "Microsoft EMET", system requirements are only that you be able to run the dot net 4.0 framework. If you get it to run, please report back. It should offer substantial mitigation against a plethora of threats for which no patch is available. to find it, use duckduckgo.com to search for "Microsoft EMET"

The latest EMET even does certificate pinning mitigation realtime for apps system wide. Impressive.

Not being a fan boy, noting that the DNS hijack vulnerability is 26 years old and OS/X, iOS and Android fail to implement in the OS certificate pinning of user installed apps. In iOS & Android the app developer coders should do this, but it would be nice if the OS/X got on board with a supported friendly user method.

Trying to clone a bootcamp drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.