Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My messages app keeps crashing

Everytime I open my messages app and press the button to go back to see all my recent messages the messages app crashes. I've done a hard reset and restore to itunes. How can I fix this? If it helps I have no unread messages.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Sep 3, 2013 8:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2013 1:23 PM

Hi apple4apple,

It sounds like when you did the restore, you restored from a backup. I would suggest trying a restore as new, to see if the issue persists in a clean install:

iTunes: Restoring iOS software

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

Don't forget to back up and sync as recommended in the beginning of that article!

Take care,

- Ari

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2013 1:23 PM in response to apple4apple

Hi apple4apple,

It sounds like when you did the restore, you restored from a backup. I would suggest trying a restore as new, to see if the issue persists in a clean install:

iTunes: Restoring iOS software

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

Don't forget to back up and sync as recommended in the beginning of that article!

Take care,

- Ari

Jan 1, 2016 6:25 PM in response to apple4apple

Just wanted to chime in on this because I'm having the exact same problem.

It seems as if the issue started after my last El Capitan update, but it's not just limited to the "Messages" app... Can anyone else confirm this on their end as well?

As another user pointed out, the app usually crashes after a few hours of use and I typically have to "Force Quit" in order to get the app to close. But once I "force quit" the app, it doesn't open again without crashing.

Also, I'd like to figure out if this issue is persistent across all systems running El Capitan or just certain ones; so I'm posting a summary of system:

User uploaded file

Jan 2, 2016 11:38 PM in response to apple4apple

Quick Update: I was able to resolve all of my issues simply by removing all Mail accounts EXCEPT for my one iCloud account.

I had several accounts configured, but all of the others were Gmail accounts.

So I'm not really sure why something so simple would create so many issues, but I haven't had a crash since making the change.

Keep in mind, I'm using to having applications crash on me constantly since this issue began (at least once every couple of hours).

My fix was simple, turn off wireless or unplug your ethernet cable and do the following:

1. Open Mail -> Preferences -> Select "Accounts"

2. Remove all accounts EXCEPT for your iCloud account

3. Exit the Mail application

4. Enable wireless or plug in ethernet cable again

5. Enjoy

My messages app keeps crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.