2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2013 8:47 PM by Ryan Warner
Ryan Warner Level 1 (15 points)

I just got a Mac Mini Server for my home network.  This is my first time setting up an account server and first time using OS X Server.  My server is running Lion, my client is running ML.


I have network accounts setup on the server and working.  The home directories are on the server.  I don't seem to have any issues, other than making the network accounts (I only have 4) show up on my client login screen.  In other words, if I use "Other" to type in my login information, I can login just fine. I have enabled the "show network accounts" feature on my client.


Interestingly, if I am logged in via any user on the client (network or local), using fast user switching to go to the login screen ALWAYS shows the network users.  Only on boot, or when all users are logged out, do I have this problem of the network accounts not showing up.  Even then, they do occasionally show up.


Is there a known bug here?  I've gone through several tutorials, it seems I've done all that is required.



  • Gregory DiFiore Level 1 (10 points)

    Are your users connecting via a Wireless or Wired connection?  If it is wireless what kind of authentication are your using?

  • Ryan Warner Level 1 (15 points)

    I seem to have isolated the issue.


    I was using wireless for both server and client, so I switched both to ethernet to eliminate any possible issues there.  No change.


    Then after some more experimenting I realized my original statement


    if I am logged in via any user on the client (network or local), using fast user switching to go to the login screen ALWAYS shows the network users.

    was incorrect.  It turns out I have to be logged in with a local user for the network users to show up.  So I went back and experimented with the Login Window options I configured in Profile Manager.  Here is how I had my client configured.

    Screen Shot 2013-09-04 at 10.34.24 PM.png

    If I enable "Show computer's administrators", or if I disabled "Show local users", the problem goes away.  The problem only exists when I have one or the other, but not both, options enabled.  So it seems there is a bug on the client, or there is a bug in the profile that Profile Manager is pushing to the client.



    Another interesting tid bit.  I temporarily changed the local user on the client to an administrator.  That left the client with two administrators and no standard users.  The problem went away.  Turning that user back into a standard user, and the problem came back.


    So there's one combination of options here that isn't working. In the long run I won't have any local users anyway, so it won't matter.  This only affects me now while I'm migrating things.