Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Am I better buying Microsoft Office or Pages and keynote. I am a university student and have previously used Microsoft office

I have recently purchased my first MacBook Air. Previously I had a windows laptop and using Microsoft Office for word and powerpoint. I am a university student going into my last year and was wondering if I am better purchasing Microsoft office for my Mac or buy the Pages and Keynote apps. Any advice would be grately appreciated. 🙂

Posted on Sep 4, 2013 11:17 AM

3 replies

Sep 4, 2013 11:38 AM in response to Hermon01

This is like asking what type of car you should purchase - the answer is it is your personal preference.

Both paths have merits. Apple's tools are more robust, and have a brighter future in the Apple world as Microsoft has already transitioned to its subscription based Office 365. Apple offers the advantages of iCloud. Microsoft would avoid any possible compatibility issues.

Sep 4, 2013 11:54 AM in response to Hermon01

I have both on my Air (iWork & MS Office).

I prefer MS Office for nearly all my tasks. iWork is demonstrably different, and would take a while to master. If you want to be productive, and are already familiar with MS Office, then stick with it. The only plus that iWork has, is that it is a tad less expensive. Not worth the savings for the time it takes to become proficient to a new product.

MS Office is also more adept at sharing documents with other Office users. While iWork can export, it can't save-as a MS Office document.

To hit the ground running, consider using Office for now, then ease into iWork, one app at a time.

Am I better buying Microsoft Office or Pages and keynote. I am a university student and have previously used Microsoft office

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.