Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loaded information from hard drive to new computer without iphoto. where are the photos i had in iphoto?

Hi there,

I spilled beer on an older macbook and it was too pricey to repair. I had the Apple store save all files and information from the harddrive to an external hard drive. I moved all the files and information onto a refurbished macbook. The refurbished macbook does not have ilife, particularly iphoto. All of the photos that I had in iphoto on the old computer are gone. Are they still available someplace? How do I get to them? If I can not access them on my new computer without iphoto can I exchange the old hard drive for the new one? Thank you very much.

e

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Sep 4, 2013 11:47 AM

3 replies

Sep 4, 2013 1:17 PM in response to elizafromdu

The iPhoto library that was on the hard drive of the damaged Macbook will still be there.

I suggest you take the hard drive out of the dead MB and install it in an inexpensive external enclosure. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NexStar-2-5-Inch-External-Enclosure/dp/B002JQNXZC

Once you have the drive in the enclosure you can connect it to your new Mac, install iPhoto on the new Mac, and access the library. This step can be tricky, so post back when you are ready.

Sep 5, 2013 1:45 PM in response to elizafromdu

You reccomed doing this instead of swapping drives? Why is that?

For myself, I'd rather not replace a new drive with an old one. (Even a refurbished Mac from Apple has new components.)

And you have the option to be use both external drives to help you. 1. Use one of the external drives as the pemanent repository for your photos. 2. Use the other external drive as a Time Machine backup.

Loaded information from hard drive to new computer without iphoto. where are the photos i had in iphoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.