Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

audio book project

I am using Garage Band to record and produce an audio version of a book I have written. To meet the guidelines of the audio book company (ACX) I must submit a file with final audio to measure between -23 and-18dB RMS with audio peaks at -3dB. I have already produced an audio sample and was wondering if Garage Band offers a way to test whether my sample meets these requirements. If it doesn't, is there a way to modify my pre-existing file so that it does? If I need to re-record my sample, what settings in GB should I begin with to achieve these results? I have been using the Podcast function in GB for my recording.

Posted on Sep 4, 2013 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2013 12:06 PM

GB doesn't allow you to normalize your audio output to a certain numerical value. If you're happy editing with GB, you should take the final exported file into an audio editor and normalize/compress it to a certain value. (Sound Studio, e.g. has this RMS normalization, I assume Audacity has it too.)

For speech recordings, I have always found it a good idea to run them through the Levelator before doing the final normalization.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2013 12:06 PM in response to bookworm1

GB doesn't allow you to normalize your audio output to a certain numerical value. If you're happy editing with GB, you should take the final exported file into an audio editor and normalize/compress it to a certain value. (Sound Studio, e.g. has this RMS normalization, I assume Audacity has it too.)

For speech recordings, I have always found it a good idea to run them through the Levelator before doing the final normalization.

audio book project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.