Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ethernet transfer data - data migration from imac to macbook

CONNECTION FAILED when trying to transfers data from one computer to another.

Key words: shared file transfer public folder dropbox

Finally got it.

so all those up to my stage, this is basically where my problem was (step 5)

1. Both my comptuer are connected through ethernet (regardless on whether Wi-Fi is 'on' or 'off')

2. I have gone into system preferences and allowed file sharing

3. Macbook (laptop) was connected to Imac (desktop)

4. Macbook connected as: "guest" (this can be seen top of finder window when you have clicked on shared folder)

5. Imac (desktop) failed to connect to macbook (laptop)

All I had to do was:

5. Go on macbook (laptop)

6. Click on ('disconnect' or 'connect as') button top right of finder window (whilst you are on the shared folder of theImac)

7. Pop up menu. Do not connect as guest. Connect as registered user. To do this: fill in name of Imac (aka first name last name of Imac) then, fill in password for Imac (it is Imac's Apple ID password)

8. Now instead of being logged in as "guest", you are nowed logged in as the *Imac'suser's name* (aka Fraser)

9. I am now fully accessible to all of the Imac's data. Aka instead of seeing "Imac's Shared folder", I can see all files on the Imac free at will.

10. Repeat process for Imac and logg in as registered user for Macbook.

This doesn't require serious 'thought', it is only a process you need to follow. If it doesn't work for you, my advice is to start from scratch (aka. disconnect ethernet cable.. and start again - follow the link below as it is a basic video tutorial if you are unsure what the corrective steps are)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H5BV_t7NF4

Happy haxor

- phras3

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 5, 2013 2:59 AM

1 reply

ethernet transfer data - data migration from imac to macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.