Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 8, iMac (Mid 2011): Keyboard screen brightness controls do not work. Your solutiondoes not work because the screen brightness control in the charms menu in Windows 8 is greyed out!!

Just installed Windows 8 in Bootcamp on a 15inch MacBook Pro with Retina screen. The F1 & F2 keys to control screen brightness do not work. The Apple Support suggests using the screen brightness in the Windows Charm bar to control the brightness but this is greyed out!! When you hover the cursor over the control, it says Windows unable to control screen brightness!!

Any solutions??

Apart from rebooting into OSX changing the brightness and then reboting back into Windows 8.... thats tiresome!!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Windows 8, F1 & F2 keys not working

Posted on Sep 5, 2013 7:39 AM

3 replies

Sep 5, 2013 7:44 AM in response to irl888

(http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4967-trackpad-control-module.html), it will enable the trackpad driver on boot camp. After you install the trackpad++, trackpad++ will complain something. ingnore it. You should be able to enable trackpad. And you can now even uninstall the trackpad++, the trackpad will sill work.

Also, went into Device Manager and on the two "Touchpad" entries with the bang on them, went to "Update Driver" -> "Browse My Computer" -> "Let me pick from a list..." and changed them both to USB Input Device. Reboot.

Go back to Device Manager, do an "Update Driver" again, let it search automatically, and one comes back as Apple Multitouch and the other as Apple Multitouch Mouse. Rebooted again, trackpad working and shows up in Boot Camp control panel.

brightness, what graphics card are you using? It might be due to the auto adjusting brightness running there. You can go to your power options, edit the one you are using (Change plan settings >> Change advanced power settings) and look for Batteries >> Enable adaptive brightness and disable the one you are using. After that, the scrollbar for adjusting brightness in power options should work again.

Sep 5, 2013 10:30 AM in response to The hatter

Tried your suggestion about brightness, ie, turning off the 'enable adaptive brightness'. But no change. The control in the Charms bar is stiff unavailable. Rebooted after doing the change as well to make sure.

I can only change the screen brightness by going into OSX and making the changes there. It then seems to keep this setting for when i boot into Windows 8. Just don;t seem to be able to make the change within Windows 8 itself.

Windows 8, iMac (Mid 2011): Keyboard screen brightness controls do not work. Your solutiondoes not work because the screen brightness control in the charms menu in Windows 8 is greyed out!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.