Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A 2d video background in a 3d scene

Hello,

In Motion, I have a 3d scene with lights, cameras, objects, motion stuff, etc.

If I wanted to have a standard video occurring in the background, seperate from the 3d scene, how should I do this?

I suppose I could do a workflow where I import the 3d scene into FCP and just have it as a layer above the background video.

However, within Motion, is there a way to do this? Especially useful if I wanted to coordinate the event in the 3d scene with what was happening in the background video.

I think I'm overlooking a compositing basic concept.

Any advice appreciated,

Thanks!

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Sep 5, 2013 10:31 AM

2 replies

Sep 6, 2013 5:35 PM in response to I'mNeither

Place the video in a group at the bottom of the layers list (you can do this by dragging the video layer down below everything else then over to the left edge under the checkboxes - you should see the mouse cursor change adding a green circle + and there should be a blue line with a small circle on the left end -- drop the video and there should be a new group created containing the video layer.)

Alternately, you can create a new group and place the video inside. You'll need to drag the group to the lowest level of the layers list.

Once you have the video isolated, on the right side of the group layer there's a small icon. When it's 3D it looks like 3 stacked squares. Clicking on it will toggle to 2D (and vice versa).

Once your video layer is 2D, it will fill the original video frame and you can work your 3D magic in front of it (you will not be able to move behind it!)

A 2d video background in a 3d scene

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.