Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I d/l lion updates using my iphone 4 as a modem?

My dictionary is missing from the used '2012 iMac' I just bought and all I have is my iPhone 4 for a modem because I'm a disabled Vet with a limited income. How can I fix this without having to make a 200 mile trip to an Apple Store?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 5, 2013 6:24 PM

1 reply

Sep 5, 2013 7:06 PM in response to gr8ad4u

Unfortunately, a full reinstall would be the only solution I can think of and I do not know if your cell provider will allow such a large download (4+ GB). Are you using your iPhone as a "hotspot"/wireless internet sharing for that iMac?

If your used iMac came with Mountain Lion, then I'd suggest the drive to a store or someplace like a Starbucks maybe? Another concern that might come up: did that iMac come with Lion or Mountain Lion originally? If it came with an OS version older/earlier than what is installed, you will not be able to reinstall the OS as the license for any OS purchased at the app store is not transferable. So, even if your phone were to work, you may not be able to download/install it.

can I d/l lion updates using my iphone 4 as a modem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.