Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery Replacement

I have a 32GB Ipod Touch 5th gen which is under warranty. I have noticed lately that the battery doesn't seem to be lasting as long as it should. I have also had some charging issues, for example, a few times when charging it in the car it displayed a temperature warning, and one time the Ipod didn't charge at all when I had it plugged in overnight. I have already tried completely draining the battery until the Ipod displays the low battery icon, and then completely recharging it to 100% overnight, but the battery life still didn't seem to improve.

I wanted to take it to an Apple Store to see about possibly getting the battery replaced and was wondering the following:

Is there anyway an Apple Genius Bar can actually test the battery to see if it is good, bad/worn out, so they can rule out software issues, or will they just simply replace the battery, no questions asked?

Will Apple actually replace the battery in my Ipod and give me back my same Ipod, or will they just swap my Ipod out with another, refurbished Ipod with a new battery? (I heard somewhere that Apple doesn't actually replace parts that they just swap out the entire device with a refurbished one, but I heard from somewhere else that they actually do replace the battery inside and give the same one back to you).

Will I have to pay any money (shipping costs, etc.) for the battery replacement even though it is under warranty? It is NOT "jailbroken," it has never had any water damage that I am aware of, and the screen is still intact (not cracked). I DO NOT have the extended Applecare protection, however it should still be covered under the standard 1 year warranty right(The 5th gen ipod hasn't even been out 1 year)?

Do I need to show a receipt or proof of purchase in order to get it repaired/replaced under warranty (I DO NOT have the receipt, but I do still have the original box the Ipod came in)?

I also have the latest firmware for my Ipod (iOS 6.1.3). I am not sure if I should wait until iOS 7 comes out to see if it will fix the problem if it is possibly a software issue.

iPod touch, iOS 6.1

Posted on Sep 5, 2013 6:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2013 6:37 PM

Aviator92 wrote:

I have noticed lately that the battery doesn't seem to be lasting as long as it should.

How long does it last and how long do you believe it should last?

Aviator92 wrote:

I have also had some charging issues, for example, a few times when charging it in the car it displayed a temperature warning, and one time the Ipod didn't charge at all when I had it plugged in overnight.

That's not good.

Aviator92 wrote:

Is there anyway an Apple Genius Bar can actually test the battery to see if it is good, bad/worn out, so they can rule out software issues, or will they just simply replace the battery, no questions asked?

My understanding is that, because of time constraints, they take your word for it. They will, however, ask you for details such as my first statement above.

Aviator92 wrote:

Will Apple actually replace the battery in my Ipod and give me back my same Ipod, or will they just swap my Ipod out with another, refurbished Ipod with a new battery? (I heard somewhere that Apple doesn't actually replace parts that they just swap out the entire device with a refurbished one, but I heard from somewhere else that they actually do replace the battery inside and give the same one back to you).

You will receive an identical refurbished replacement.

Aviator92 wrote:

Will I have to pay any money (shipping costs, etc.) for the battery replacement even though it is under warranty? It is NOT "jailbroken," it has never had any water damage that I am aware of, and the screen is still intact (not cracked). I DO NOT have the extended Applecare protection, however it should still be covered under the standard 1 year warranty right(The 5th gen ipod hasn't even been out 1 year)?

The replacement will not cost you anything. If it had actually been jailbroken, it still wouldn't cost you anything because they wouldn't fix it.

Aviator92 wrote:

Do I need to show a receipt or proof of purchase in order to get it repaired/replaced under warranty (I DO NOT have the receipt, but I do still have the original box the Ipod came in)?

No receipt is necessary.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2013 6:37 PM in response to Aviator92

Aviator92 wrote:

I have noticed lately that the battery doesn't seem to be lasting as long as it should.

How long does it last and how long do you believe it should last?

Aviator92 wrote:

I have also had some charging issues, for example, a few times when charging it in the car it displayed a temperature warning, and one time the Ipod didn't charge at all when I had it plugged in overnight.

That's not good.

Aviator92 wrote:

My understanding is that, because of time constraints, they take your word for it. They will, however, ask you for details such as my first statement above.

Aviator92 wrote:

You will receive an identical refurbished replacement.

Aviator92 wrote:

The replacement will not cost you anything. If it had actually been jailbroken, it still wouldn't cost you anything because they wouldn't fix it.

Aviator92 wrote:

No receipt is necessary.

Battery Replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.