Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What upgrade is more cost effective: RAM or Chip speed/model?

I need to buy a new 15" MacBook Pro (standard screen, no retina; hard drive, no SSD). I want to upgrade from a couple of the in-store configurations, so I know I have to uze the online store.

My *most* memory-intensive work is some occasional production (hobby) in Logic Pro, which does slog down sometimes on my existing '08 MBP with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. And my 4GB RAM do get a bit constipated if I'm running Photoshop Elements with two or three other minor apps open. I don't do any games, and very little video. The in-store standard is 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB GDDR5 memory. For $200 I'll get a 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB GDDR5 memory. (What's GDDR5?)

I'm comfortable enough paying an extra $100 to double the standard 4GB RAM to 8GB. And I'm fine with another $100 for the 1TB internal @ 5400rpm, as I have about 700GB data and I =want= to keep it all internal and physically local (plus external bootable clones in rotation). Given that the standard chip is only .1GHz less, is it worth $200 to hop up to the 2.6GHz? (It's another $250 for 2.7GHz—forget that.) I'll appreciate any input on juggling which variables matter more. Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Sep 5, 2013 7:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2013 8:16 PM

For one thing, I'd seriously consider getting a 7200 rpm hard drive - I find the standard 5400 rpm on laptops simply too slow. I upgraded mine to an SSD, but you could simply go with a regular one - see some examples here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/2.5-Notebook/SATA

I'd also definitely get at least 8 GB RAM; I've not used Logic Pro, but I've read that it is resource heavy, so I'd consider more if the machine can handle it. Personally, I'd think the first machine is fine; the GDDR memory is the memory dedicted to the graphics card.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2013 8:16 PM in response to chuck50dc

For one thing, I'd seriously consider getting a 7200 rpm hard drive - I find the standard 5400 rpm on laptops simply too slow. I upgraded mine to an SSD, but you could simply go with a regular one - see some examples here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/2.5-Notebook/SATA

I'd also definitely get at least 8 GB RAM; I've not used Logic Pro, but I've read that it is resource heavy, so I'd consider more if the machine can handle it. Personally, I'd think the first machine is fine; the GDDR memory is the memory dedicted to the graphics card.

Sep 6, 2013 8:52 AM in response to babowa

Babowa, thanks for the input. Methinks I'll go for the in-store 13" with 2.9GHz. I'll buy a third-party 1TB drive @ 7200rpm for $100 (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/HGST/0J22423/), moving the factory 750GB drive (5400rpm) into an external housing for another backup unit.

I'll lose a little screen space, but I'll get used to it. Meanwhile I'll have the chip power for future needs, ample physical storage onboard, AND a faster mehanical HD.

Sep 6, 2013 9:08 AM in response to chuck50dc

If you get the kit from OWC, you can first install the new drive in the external enclosure, plug into your machine and clone your system to it using CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper. Then uninstall the old one, install the new one and you're done (and also have an instantaneous bootable clone as a bonus). I did that when I got the SSD - worked like a charm and was very quick.

What upgrade is more cost effective: RAM or Chip speed/model?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.