14 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2013 8:22 AM by JESoto
JESoto Level 1 (0 points)

iPhone 5 emails not pushing to my phone UNLESS I delete emails

I've tried deleting the email account and re adding it. I also have an iPad and these same emails are working perfectly. I've compare the setup on the iPhone and the iPad to confirm they are set up exactly the same and they are.

They are also set up to fetch automatically every 15 minutes.  But it will be all day, days, and nothing unless I delete emails and only then it fetches new ones.

The provider for these  two emails are network solutions.  But this has worked for years until about a month ago.

Any thoughts ?

iPhone 5
  • ChrisJ4203 Level 8 (47,649 points)

Pushing and fetching are two different things. Not all email providers push mail. Are you fetching on the iPad as well, with the 15 minute setup? What kind of email account is this, POP, IMAP, Exchange? Is it possible you have one of the devices set to delete the email from the server? How much email are you storing on the iPhone? How much free space do you have on the iPhone?

• JESoto Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks for the reply Chris.  All excellent questions. Ill answer your questions one by one.

Yes, fetch is set for every 15 minutes.  Push is set to ON. And yes, not all emails provide push mail but these two worked perfectly until about a month ago.  iPad is fetching as well every 15 minutes.  They are both POP.

I checked and confirmed none of the devices are set to delete from server. And I  accessed the network solutions mail service and confirmed all emails are still there.  I have 4 emails addresses each with 50 messages.  But I also went through and cleared out all mail from Trash folders and Sent just in case. And over all, I still have 23GB available.

I know I've tried everything u can think of, and searches forums, but still nothing.

Any thoughts ?

Even though you have Push set to on, I'm not aware of any POP accounts that actually push. I believe you are just getting your mail via the 15 minute Fetch that you have set. And if they were truly push accounts, you would not need to turn Fetch on.

If you send yourself an email from another device to one account that you say works, does it actually get pushed? What I mean is, do you receive the mail right away, or do you only get mail every 15 minutes as you set your fetch? If you go into Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Fetch New Data>Advanced, you should see all of your email accounts listed there. What settings do you have there, push, fetch, Manual? I believe only accounts that support Push will have a selection for Push. If set to Fetch, it will fetch on the schedule you have set there, and if set on Manual, they will only check for mail when you open the Mail client. See what settings you have there.

Understood.  I never really got that Fetch/Push concept until now.    I followed your instructions and iCloud is the only one set to PUSH, all other are set to Fetch.  The two bottom ones are the ones I am having the issue with and they are set to Fetch.

iPhone_Email.jpg

If you open the mail app and manually select either of those mail accounts, what happens? Does it connect and pick up mail, or do you see an error at the bottom of the screen?

Neither.  At the bottom of the screen it should "Connecting..." then "Checking for Mail... then "Updated 9/6/13 14:53"  BUT it does not download any emails.  And I've confirm there are multiple emails there that should be coming in.    Now if I go and delete older emails, then it will download; delete five emails, 5 new emails are then download.  

In Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars, if you scroll down to the Mail section, what does it say about Show?

50 Recent Messages

What if you turn these two accounts off on the iPad? Then try and pick up those two accounts on the phone, does that work? I'm wondering if it some conflict when the accounts are getting locked by one of the devices so the other device cannot access the server.

I tried that over the weekend but I'm still getting the same results.  I have also deleted the accounts and recreated them.  It loads the most recent 50... and then it stays there until I delete some.  :- /

I cannot think of any other reason why this would not work. Have you tried contacting your email provider and see if they have had any other users experience this?

• Turtle Poo Level 1 (0 points)

Not sure if I missed something, but what if you change it to show more messages? Change it to 100 or 500 and see if it brings more in

I think that calling my provider is probably my next step.  I have increase the number of messages from 50 to 100  but the result is that I get 50 additional older messages, but the NEW messages are still not coming through... unless I delete existing emails.  

And so I downloaded the new iOS7 and it fixed the issue !     I didn't do anything else except go through the process of the updaet... and then received about 6 thousand emails all at once.... BUT  the problem is fixed and I am getting emails to my phone automatically.

Thank you guys for all your suggestions.