Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My imac is installing MAC OS X for two days now, with messages which state it will take minutes and messages of hours of negative time. It is not a clean install (I repaired disk and permissions) so that I wont loose data. What next?

My imac is installing MAC OS X for two days now, with messages which state it will take minutes and messages of hours of negative time. It is not a clean install (I repaired disk and permissions so that I wont loose data). What next?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 5, 2013 11:52 PM

9 replies

Sep 6, 2013 12:54 AM in response to mende1

thank you again Mende. I am not able to get into mac app store because the computer won´t boot to desktop menu. Thai is why I had to go to install mac os X via disk utility options after I did the first step, repair (not erase) the HD, then reinstall max os X. The download went fast the installing is lasting for days...I am afraid to turni it off because in a post related (negative time remaining) the person said it waited 7 hours and eventually installed mac os x, while other persons says one should wait out negative time because if one turns off the computer and re starts it takes forever again and it is worse as it will not pick up the installation where it left off...

Sep 5, 2013 11:55 PM in response to pexito

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

It looks like the Mountain Lion download is stuck. Connect the iMac to your router by Ethernet if you can, and see if the download is resumed.

If it doesn't work, close the installer and restart. Then, hold Command and R keys while your Mac is starting to start up in Recovery, and reinstall OS X again.

If you can start up in OS X, open the Mac App Store, go to Purchases and download Mountain Lion from there, so you can resume and pause the download

Sep 6, 2013 12:03 AM in response to mende1

Thank you mende1, I am going to switch to the ethernet port instead of wirless. However, I already download it so I am assuming the internet connection does not matter. the problem that has been taking two days is installing. I hear the imac working but slowly because it does not overheat. The time started with about 6 minutes remaining to install (took hours) and now keeps changing 8,7, 6 minutes remaning, then goes into negative time (of up to - 8 hours and - 17 minutes) then back to minutes remaining.... before this I went into disk utility and repaired both disk and permissions (did not choose option to erase), is this normal, I don´t mind waiting days if I dont loose my data (I did not do back up)....

Sep 6, 2013 12:06 AM in response to pexito

The only thing you can do is to turn off your Mac and turn it on again. To reinstall OS X, open the Mac App Store and download the OS X Mountain Lion installer.

It's possible that OS X got damaged, but this is the only thing you can do, as the installer is stuck. If it doesn't turn on, start up in OS X Recovery and reinstall OS X

Sep 6, 2013 3:21 PM in response to mende1

I waited 2 and half days and it finally installed mac os X and I can see and go through my files but everything is 20 times slower than before, I guess that is why he took so long to install mac os X, Hi checked the storage and it says 700 gb of 990 gb free, but it won´t list the photos and the audio so I am assuming is not counting correct, could it be a virus?

Sep 18, 2013 2:21 AM in response to mende1

I found out what is not working and is making it so slow in the disk utility below my actual disk there are four other disks reading decryptedFile.dmg and underneath flash player, there is some discussion here whether is a trojan or nothing, I believe it is a trojan otherwise my computer wouln´t be acting up. Will erasing the macintosh HD also get rid of these trojans below?

Sep 18, 2013 4:14 AM in response to pexito

This is being answered in another post, please dont open multiple posts on the same subject. As to Trojans, if you installed Adobe Flash from the adobe site you will have no issue. There are Tojans out there but they are rare, and if OSX is up to date the X-Protect should find them when you download but most people will rarely encounter malware on OS X. Keeping your system up to date is vitaly important, along with some common sense and less panic. I dont mean to sound harsh but you have multiple posts open and its not helping people help you.

Nov 3, 2013 1:44 AM in response to pexito

Was this issue resolved? How or what did you do? I did pretty much what you did and my Mac OS X install (via ethernet) is on minus 72 (-72)hours and minus 10 (-10) minutes and counting. Opened the installer log and the log recorded everything since Oct 30 then went straight to Nov 2. I also sent this log record to Apple (there is a folder "Send to Apple") which was also recorded. Line 435 (lasty entry) states "Sent Installer Log to Apple". This is really frustrating but do I continue to wait it out and hope the Install will finally end? OR am is my install stuck even if the counter keeps on going on the negative count. Help!!!

My imac is installing MAC OS X for two days now, with messages which state it will take minutes and messages of hours of negative time. It is not a clean install (I repaired disk and permissions) so that I wont loose data. What next?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.