Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac 27inch (2012 model) won't start up - please help

Hi,

I was working on my iMac yesterday (this is the latest model and I have only had it since December 2012) and it seemed normal.

I have had trouble since the Mountain Lion OSX installation with programmes quitting unexpectedly - some of which I haven't been able to use again (Safari, iTunes store). I have dealt with this by using Firefox instead of Safari.

One of the Apple Community members suggested I remove the additional RAM I had installed which I have now done.

This morning I turned on the iMac which went to a white loading screen with grey apple logo, a grey spinning loading circle beneath it and a long rectangular loading bar at the bottom of the screen. The long loading bar loads for a third of the way and then stops, afterwhich point the whole computer just shuts itself down.

As you can imagine I am really stressed out by this as it impacts my business and I can't do any work.

I have booked an appointment at the Apple Store Geniusbar but, true to form, the earliest they can see me is the end of next week.

Added to this: I haven't been able to backup for a while because the new iMac comes with new types of ports which don't plug into my external hard drives.

Does anyone know how to fix this or has anyone had any similar problems?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 6, 2013 3:13 AM

5 replies

Sep 6, 2013 3:31 AM in response to WLobban

Since it is a 2012 model and you have only had it for less than a year it is covered by the standard Apple One Year Warranty. The thing to do is take it to an Apple store to be diagnosed and fixed under the warranty.

Simple fact is if it doesn't turn on there is a hardware problem and only Apple can fix hardware problems. The User can't fix those.

I also suggest you buy the Applecare extended warranty because these new iMacs are sealed unit that are very hard to fix. Hard to fix equals expensive to fix once the warranty has expired.

Nov 19, 2013 4:27 PM in response to WLobban

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5167 well lucky for me I believe this may be the issue even though tech support said it could be a power issue or a burnt up mother board logic board doesn't seem hd related my friend is apple certified he said it isnt the hard drive again it has been crashing but not will not boot. My friend said a video.card in general could definitely cause this problem, my thing is how can a motherboard or be a possible fault in my blank screen when my computer is only a year and a half old like really....a year and a half old and a motherboard goes bad...what do you think

My iMac 27inch (2012 model) won't start up - please help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.