Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when copying only values are inserted - how to change this?

After copying a cell there is always a value pasted. Usually the "standard" copy-past-action inserts formulas.

Apparantly this standard setting has been changed somehow and I can't figure out how to reset.

Can you tell me how I can copy a cell with a formula into an empty cell in a way that results in both cells containing formulas?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 6, 2013 4:50 AM

8 replies

Sep 6, 2013 2:37 PM in response to Sarah1904

Sarah,

I don't have a good answer for you. Copying from a Numbers table and Pasting back into Numbers should retain the formulas, or give you error alarms. There are cases, such as pasting into a TextEdit document, where the conversion to Values is automatic, but that's a special case.

One thing you could try is to change the formatting of your source table to Text before copying. Then after you paste the formulas as text into the destination, you can reconstitute the formulas by changing the cell formats back to what they should be, or Automatic.

Jerry

when copying only values are inserted - how to change this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.