Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Producer - can't upload iba file

Hi there,

I've created a book bundle with all my details via iTunes Producer, and the last step is uploading the publication and cover art. Cover art file uploaded fine into iTunes Producer, but the IBA files are all greyed out. It will not allow me to upload any IBA files whatever.

The below screenshot shows my iTunes Producer window, which won't let me click on the iBA file in the window directly below it. All greyed out. The window to the right is my actual IBA file that I want to upload. I don't know if it matters that the iTunes Producer file name is the name of the cover art file and not my IBA file (designforwriters-lm).

I set up my book in iTunes Producer separately from the PUBLISH button at the top of iBooks Author, because every time I tried to PUBLISH from there, the iTunes Producer box to bundle all my book details would not allow me to type in any information -- ISBN, publication date, next button -- I just got the bump sound from my computer that something was wrong and I could not do anything.

Thanks for your help.

User uploaded file

iBook

Posted on Sep 6, 2013 7:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2013 8:44 AM

You don't upload an .iba file. You do upload an .ibooks file.

See the help files with both iBA and iTP.

If iBA's 'Publish' menu and hand off to iTP isn't working for you, it might be time to contact support for a hand-held walk thru.

7 replies

Dec 9, 2013 11:54 AM in response to vinovixen30

When I publish my book (Publish button), I can't find any .books file(s) on my computer. Where is it saved to? In iTunes Producer, I need to upload the publication but can't find it. I am also specifying Chapter 1 to be my sample publication (at publishing step) but can't find that file to upload either. Do I need to create the sample publication manually?

Dec 18, 2013 9:34 PM in response to UC Riverside

You need to give more information.

Is you book finished, checked and exported?

Have your created your screenshots at the correct sizes...and a cover image which is 1400 on the width?

Have you created a Preview version or will you elect to use a chapter or allow iTunesProducer create a preview for you?

Did you try to Publish in iBooks Author. or open iTunes Producer. and start your delivery process "manually"?

Dec 19, 2013 7:46 AM in response to vinnyvg

Vinnyvg,

someway after trying everything, I was able to deliver the iBook. But I did so many things that is hard for me to know what made it work. I've been having same kind of problems with the three last issues I sent, so I know I am doing something wrong but can't figured out what.

These are the steps I followed as well as I can remember:

1. Once I'm done with an iBook, first thing I do is File > Export (I used to click the icon at the top right bar that says Publish and this would never work for me). I guess you need to create an .ibook file, and I thought the file you work on is already an .ibook.

2. I decided to create my own Preview version (got rid of any video and made it small). If I use iTunes producer and I choose the program to create a preview automatically, I could never find the file to upload.

3. Once I have both .ibooks files, and with the book open, I go File > Publish and start the process. It opens iTunes Producer, everything goes well, my screenshots are the correct size. Now I can see the two .ibooks files (not greyed out) and select them!! (so obviously before I didn't use the export first to create these i.book files and I was trying to upload the book file itself.

4. Then it gave me another error. Sorry I can't remember the specifics here.

After going crazy, I thought about how I was naming the file, using underscores and hypens (ex. test-book_v2.ibook). I decided to avoid any special character and renamed it testbook.ibook, and finally it worked.

I think this may have been the major problem. I hope this helps anybody having a similar situation as me.

Dec 19, 2013 1:00 PM in response to UC Riverside

1. Yes... you need to export your book when finished, do they same with your preview ( a separate book with a minimum of 15 pages.) unless you are using a chapter of the book or allowing iTunesProducer to create your preview. Then using Publish should work out OK, because during the delivery process you need to select both the iBooks file of your book ( and preview if its a mini bbok you intended). Mant people try to upload their working file ..which is xxxxxx.iba. The .iba file opens your book in iBooks Author and is NOT used in the iBooks store.

2. Preview: you do not have to minimise the the file size by removing video. The idea of a preview is to allow the rerader and oppportunity to examine a sample of teh books contents which may help to decide a purchase of the full book. The Preview should be 15 pages minimum. If you have - say 5 chapters, you could leave in the video and delete everything except 3 pages in each chapter. The content is your choice- but needs to promote your book in a positive way.

Preview: Chapter - you indicate when asked and select the chapter you prefer to use.

Preview: Let iTunesProducer auto create - if you select this option - you do not have to upload any file.. iTunesProducer will auto select a suitable sample to use.

3. If you cretae a folder for each book you make, and move the books working file..ie xxxxxx.iba file type

if/when you export a book it will be placed in that folder also.

When you reach the section to select your book and preview, if you have created one, when you select, you need to navigate to the folder and select the iBooks file. I don't see how you can have two files with identical names... also if you create a preview, it needs to have a different name. I rename to PREVIEWmybook.ibook- but anything will be OK- as long as you understand your changed name.

This way your files should not create any problems.

4. If you need to ..come back if it occurs again. ( which it may if you need to update the book later ).

A useful item on your desk, is a notebook and pen! Use it to make notes on errors or create a checklist of everything needed in the delivery process and annotate their individual requirements.

In truth, you seem to have done everything correctly and apart from file names..it possible previous issues create anxiety when uploading a new book.

I always suggest having everything needed per book to be in its own folder:-

1. book.iba file ( plus any test version and backups ie mybookBU1.iba PLUS 1 preview book file (xxx.ibook) if using one.

2. 4 screen shots and 1 cover image at the correct size.

3. I use a plain txt file with my "description " I write it up and change as needed and simply copy and past when I start a deliver process.

I appreciate you may already do this, but I include for any newbies who may see this later.

Good luck with your books.....

iTunes Producer - can't upload iba file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.