Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage not reading my contacts

Since returning from a trip to Europe back to the States, iMessage on my computer displays my contacts only as phone numbers but not their contact information as it did before. I recall getting some warning when I first started iMessage upon return but couldnt pay attention to it right away and canceled it. Now I cant get the warning back to tell me what to do even though I rebooted the computer. It might be related to me switching out the chip in my iphone to have a local number while abroad which always confuses the iphone identity for a while as well. I believe both of my numbers are associated with my account but I am not sure how to check that.

Here are all the other things I've tried based on forum posts on the topic

- in imessage preferences logged out and logged back into my iCloud account

- in mac preferences>language & text changed my region from custom to US

- in mac preferences>accounts>restarted my icloud account

Much appreciate your thoughts!

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Sep 6, 2013 6:21 AM

2 replies

Sep 6, 2013 10:52 AM in response to ElvaF

Please try each of the following steps.

Step 1

From the Messages menu bar, select

View ▹ Buddy Names ▹ Show Full Names (or Show Short Names)

Step 2

From the menu bar, select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Language & TextRegion

From the Region menu in the preference pane, select one of the preset regions. If one is already selected, choose a different one, then change it back. Close the preference pane and test.

If you still have the problem after taking those steps, post your results.

iMessage not reading my contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.