Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mainstage 3...lots of bugs? Or am I just inept?

So I don't know how other people feel about Mainstage 3, but I'm pretty disappointed. Upon first glance, it was great. But once I started using it, I got more and more frustrated. I'll get to the point here:

I use an Akai MPK88 as my bottom keyboard and a Hammond XB-2 as my top keyboard, both functioning as midi keyboards in mainstage.

In Mainstage 2, I had it set up so that the Hammond fully operated the EVB3 instrument. So the drawbars operated the drawbars in the program and the Leslie buttom actually toggled the Leslie in the logic instrument. In Mainstage 3, it seems that that option has been completely eliminated. If there is a way to get this to work again, I'd love to hear it.

My second problem, also with the Hammond, is that I can't get the ES2 synth to play more than a couple notes at a time. On my Akai, it works fine. I would say there is something wrong with my Hammond, but I had no problems in Mainstage 2.

Any help would be appreciated. Frankly, I'm kind of ****** and wish I'd never upgraded to Mainstage 3. At this point I'd ask for my money back, but I've modified a bunch of patches in Mainstage 3, so I can't open them in Mainstage 2 anymore.

HELP!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 2.2 GHz i7 8GB RAM

Posted on Sep 6, 2013 10:17 AM

9 replies

Sep 7, 2013 6:19 AM in response to VirgilFox1

Hi

VirgilFox1 wrote:

In Mainstage 2, I had it set up so that the Hammond fully operated the EVB3 instrument. So the drawbars operated the drawbars in the program and the Leslie buttom actually toggled the Leslie in the logic instrument. In Mainstage 3, it seems that that option has been completely eliminated.

I guess that you had "Organ Drawbars" set up in your layout in MS2, alongside some other controls, and that you had assigned the approriate MIDI controls.

MS3 templates default to using the new Smart Controls layout, but there should be nothing to stop you making your own "standard" layout as you would in MS2.

CCT

edit

Or indeed opening the MS2 Concert file that you had in MS3

CCT

Sep 7, 2013 6:42 AM in response to CCTM

I actually did open my concert from MS2 so I wouldn't have to set everything up again. Now I'm wondering if I should just start from scratch. The only thing that would stop me is I'm afraid all my saved patches wouldn't work on a new setup.

I actually didn't have the drawbar controls in my setup. In the EVB3 in MS2 there was an option to select a certain setting that would let the Hammond just operate it (I figured it out after combing these forums). But now the layout of EVB3 is completely different and doesn't even have this keyboard as an option. Is the only way to solve this problem to put the drawbar controls in my layout and map them to the EVB3?

Sep 7, 2013 6:52 AM in response to VirgilFox1

Hi

VirgilFox1 wrote:

The only thing that would stop me is I'm afraid all my saved patches wouldn't work on a new setup.

I have not found any problems (yet).

VirgilFox1 wrote:

I actually didn't have the drawbar controls in my setup. In the EVB3 in MS2 there was an option to select a certain setting that would let the Hammond just operate it (I figured it out after combing these forums). But now the layout of EVB3 is completely different and doesn't even have this keyboard as an option.

Do you mean this?

User uploaded file

VirgilFox1 wrote:

Is the only way to solve this problem to put the drawbar controls in my layout and map them to the EVB3?

Nope... you could also use the Assignments and Mappings pane to directly A & M incoming MIDI to specific functions (per patch) without the need for Screen Controls

CCT

Sep 7, 2013 11:20 AM in response to CCTM

Yep, that's the new interface and that option does not make my Hammond work. In the old version, there were a lot more options in general, but there was one option that I found in these forums that made it work.

Ill have to fiddle around with this a little more, but you've definitely been a huge help in giving me stuff to try.

Another problem with my Hammond is that on some patches the EX2 synth doesn't let me play more than one or two notes. I've messed with the polyphony and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Other instruments work just fine on the Hammond, but the Ex2 has issues. So frustrating!

Sep 7, 2013 11:38 AM in response to VirgilFox1

Hi

VirgilFox1 wrote:

Yep, that's the new interface and that option does not make my Hammond work. In the old version, there were a lot more options in general, but there was one option that I found in these forums that made it work.

As far as I can tell, the (old) EVB3 and the new repond to similar models:

EVB3: RK, HS, NI, Nord

Vintage B3: Roland VK, Hammond SK/XK, Korg CX, HS, NI, Nord.

Details of the MIDI parameters are in the two respective manuals

Exactly which model Hammond do you have?

Which MIDI CC's do it's controls transmit (Check in the MIDI Activity monitor in MS3)

VirgilFox1 wrote:

Another problem with my Hammond is that on some patches the EX2 synth doesn't let me play more than one or two notes. I've messed with the polyphony and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Which patches have "limited polyphony"?

CCT

Nov 1, 2013 4:28 PM in response to VirgilFox1

Regarding this one:

My second problem, also with the Hammond, is that I can't get the ES2 synth to play more than a couple notes at a time. On my Akai, it works fine. I would say there is something wrong with my Hammond, but I had no problems in Mainstage 2.

I had this problem as well, when I would send in MIDI on a channel other than MIDI channel 1, and could not figure it out. It's as if the ES2 is in some strange unison mode, but it's not.

Well, I discovered a MIDI Mono Mode setting is On and set to channel 1 for at least some ES2 settings used in patches. When I turn this off it works.

This setting is in the Editor view by clicking on the MIDI button in the lower left side of the Editor, then expanding the triangle. It may be easier to find by setting "View:" to Controls, and scrolling all the way to the bottom.

You'll have to make this change to any patch using an ES2 preset that has this setting turned on, obviously.

Nov 1, 2013 4:38 PM in response to MainStage Fan

Well, I guess I should have metioned you could more easily just set the Hammond to send on MIDI channel 1, and make the assignment in Mainstage, and you wouldn't have to change any ES2 settings. (This only applies if indeed your problem is that you're not sending on MIDI channel 2 from the Hammond.)

There's really no need to use MIDI channel 2-16, since it's sent in in on a different midi "port" in mainstage (i.e., the Akai and the hammond can both send in on midi channel 1 when connected over usb, because they are recognized as seperate ports, or midi inputs). And this is assuming the Hammond has USB on it.

If the XB2 does not have USB, then you'll have to send it in through another device other than the Akai, unless in Mainstage you can see different midi sources for the Akai and the Akai MIDI input jack (meaning, the physical midi input isn't muxed in with the Akai's midi output over the USB connection).

Kind of a pain, but at least simple MIDI i/o devices are cheap, and would save you a lot of time altering ES2 patches, if you use a lot of them.

Mar 14, 2014 9:39 AM in response to MainStage Fan

I was experiencing the same problem - I also saw this in Garageband using the same sound (classic analog pad).

I wanted to route channel 1 to Korg Krome and channel 2 to mainstage.

I thought at first it was something about my Axiom 61 but I tried iRig Keys with same result.

I tried your solution and it worked.

Of course, I could have changed the channel on the Korg, but it was really annoying me not knowing what was going on.

Thanks for the solution.

Mainstage 3...lots of bugs? Or am I just inept?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.