Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does my ipod not play audio?

my ipod touch 4th gen 16gb will not play audio unless it has headphones in. it is second hadn but the seller said nothing about this and the ipod is in perfect condition except for this. i have tried putting the headphones in and out and resetting the ipod, neither of these made any difference. when i play a video or a track without headphones in, the volume slider disappears as if there is no audio file. alarms and facetime sound effects etc still play so i dont think the speakers are broken. please help.

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.3, 4th generation 16gb

Posted on Sep 6, 2013 11:32 AM

5 replies

Sep 6, 2013 11:35 AM in response to Eva MH

- Try cleaning out/blowing out the headphone jack. Try inserting/removing the plug a dozen times or so. There is a little switch in the headphone jack that disconnects the speaker when the headphone jack is inserted.

Try the following to rule out a software problem

- Reset the iPod. Nothing will be lost

Reset iPod touch: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup

- Restore to factory settings/new iPod.

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store. Seems you have a bad headphone jack.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

If not under warranty Apple will exchange your iPod for a refurbished one for this price. They do not fix yours.

Apple - iPod Repair price

A third-party place like the following will replace the jack for less. Google for more.

iPhone Repair, Service & Parts: iPod Touch, iPad, MacBook Pro Screens

Replace the jack yourself

iPod Touch Repair – iFixit

why does my ipod not play audio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.