Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad mini cord - gold stripes

iPad mini suddenly extremely slow to charge. I examined the cord. There are those 8 gold bars. One of them is black. I think the gold fell off. Would that account for slow charge? Before I buy a new cord, I thought perhaps someone knows about those gold bars. Is one of them supposed to be black? Or

is this abnormal, and potentially the cause of the problem. Thank you.

iMac (24-inch Early 2008), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 6, 2013 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2013 12:28 PM

The gold "pins" are all supposed to be all gold.

If you have a black one chances are it burnt out.

You'll probably have to buy a new cable.

Though if the iPad is still under warranty go to an Apple store and see if you can exchange it for a new one if the cable had a manufacturing defect that caused the burnout.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2013 12:28 PM in response to Robert Arnold5

The gold "pins" are all supposed to be all gold.

If you have a black one chances are it burnt out.

You'll probably have to buy a new cable.

Though if the iPad is still under warranty go to an Apple store and see if you can exchange it for a new one if the cable had a manufacturing defect that caused the burnout.

ipad mini cord - gold stripes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.