Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1st gen iPad keeps closing apps

I have a first generation iPad thatnhas worked great. Sometimes it's a little slow, but nothing too bad. However, in the past few days it's starting closing apps randomly. Safari, Facebook, YouTube, CNN news app, USA Today app, various games.

Any suggestions? Other than purchasing a new one?

iPad

Posted on Sep 6, 2013 2:30 PM

4 replies

Sep 6, 2013 2:39 PM in response to bigalwood

Standard troubleshooting...

1. Try a Restart by pressing the sleep/lock button until you see the slider. Slide to power off. Restart by pressing the sleep/lock button until you see the Apple logo.

2. Try a Reset by pressing the home and sleep buttons until you see the Apple logo, ignoring the slider if, it comes up. Takes about 5-15 secs of button holding and you won't lose any data or settings.

3. Remove all apps from Recently Used list...

- From any Home Screen, double tap the home button to bring up the Recents List

- Tap and hold any icon in this list until they wiggle

- Press the red (-) to delete all apps from this list.

- Press the home button twice when done.

4. If still a problem restore with your backup.

5. If still a problem restore as new, i.e. without your backup. See how it runs with nothing synced to it.

6. If still a problem, it's likely a hardware issue.

Oct 5, 2013 8:49 PM in response to paulcb

I have the same problem with my Ipad. I restored the ipad as new and it still crashes. This is not a hardware issue in the sense of hardware malfunction. if it was hardware, the crashing issue would not be isolated to apps. This appears to be an issue with old hardware running newer software and the management of system resources. This link may help, but I will keep looking for more options.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/puzzled-by-ipad-crashes-we-show-you-how-to-solve -it-167205

1st gen iPad keeps closing apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.