Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i snyc a shuffle that is synced to a different library?

had to wipe computer and reset, shuffle was synced to old library. do I have to replace the contents with reset of shuffle or can I sync it to the new library? Thanks...

iPod shuffle

Posted on Sep 6, 2013 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2013 2:21 PM

If it's an older model (1st or 2nd gen), it can only be associated with one iTunes library at a time. If it's the current 4th gen shuffle (or 3rd gen), and it was set to Manually manage music, you should be able to add new content from a different iTunes library. If it was set up for automatic syncing (to your old iTunes library), you cannot add content from a different iTunes library, without replacing the existing content.

If there are songs that only exist on the shuffle (you don't have a backup), you can first "offload" the songs from the shufffle, add the song to your new iTunes library, and then re-sync your shuffle.

You cannot use iTunes to transfer song files from iPod to computer, except for songs purchased from the iTunes Store. However, there are third-party methods and utilities that can transfer from iPod to computer. If you do an Internet search on something like "ipod transfer," you should get some links.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2013 2:21 PM in response to kgb928

If it's an older model (1st or 2nd gen), it can only be associated with one iTunes library at a time. If it's the current 4th gen shuffle (or 3rd gen), and it was set to Manually manage music, you should be able to add new content from a different iTunes library. If it was set up for automatic syncing (to your old iTunes library), you cannot add content from a different iTunes library, without replacing the existing content.

If there are songs that only exist on the shuffle (you don't have a backup), you can first "offload" the songs from the shufffle, add the song to your new iTunes library, and then re-sync your shuffle.

You cannot use iTunes to transfer song files from iPod to computer, except for songs purchased from the iTunes Store. However, there are third-party methods and utilities that can transfer from iPod to computer. If you do an Internet search on something like "ipod transfer," you should get some links.

how do i snyc a shuffle that is synced to a different library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.