Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I get 2tb in a new macbook pro

I want to get a new macbook pro but I would need it to have 2TB of storage since I do music production and I have tons of software and sounds/samples I need in my laptop. Can I make a new macbook pro have 2TB or would I need like a 17in macbook pro which I would have to find a used one

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Sep 6, 2013 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2013 2:20 PM

all 4 platter 2TB 2.5" HD are 15.2mm THICK. theres utterly NO WAY a single HD will fit in any macbook like that.

only option is a 1TB in the internal bay, and removal of the superdrive DVD/CD player and installing a secondary 1TB HD in the "optibay"

See OWC for the optibay option.

http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/

2.5" hard drive thickness and capacity

7mm = 500gig

9.5mm = 500gig up to 1TB

12.5mm = 1.5TB

15.2mm = 2TB

(however there are new HD just out that are 5mm = 500gig and 7mm = 1TB and 9.5mm = 1.5TB)

You have the POTENTIAL of 3TB in your macbook between 2 HD, however those drives are western digital, which I and most here wouldnt recommend. Also they just came out, and their reliability is UNKNOWN.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2013 2:20 PM in response to Trife831

all 4 platter 2TB 2.5" HD are 15.2mm THICK. theres utterly NO WAY a single HD will fit in any macbook like that.

only option is a 1TB in the internal bay, and removal of the superdrive DVD/CD player and installing a secondary 1TB HD in the "optibay"

See OWC for the optibay option.

http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/

2.5" hard drive thickness and capacity

7mm = 500gig

9.5mm = 500gig up to 1TB

12.5mm = 1.5TB

15.2mm = 2TB

(however there are new HD just out that are 5mm = 500gig and 7mm = 1TB and 9.5mm = 1.5TB)

You have the POTENTIAL of 3TB in your macbook between 2 HD, however those drives are western digital, which I and most here wouldnt recommend. Also they just came out, and their reliability is UNKNOWN.

Mar 26, 2014 11:35 AM in response to PlotinusVeritas

Sorry i know this post is old but came across it when curious of the maximum capacity of MBPs but this your post about HDD bays may need up dating, You can use the macs built in Bios through System Preferences to select which drive you want to boot from but if however you are using Windows 8 this drive seems to have to be in the primary bay due to some sort of OS privelige

Oct 22, 2014 12:45 AM in response to DJSteel07

Did you resolve the internal hard drive staying mounted? I've just bought one and had a similar problem - external it runs pretty well but when installing internally, it isn't happy. I couldn't even reformat the drive when mounted internally but once attached as an external, no issues.

I'm returning the drive for another but wonder that its more a compatibility issue rather than a defective product?

Thanks

Dec 12, 2014 8:14 PM in response to Trife831

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro 17. I use the OWC data doubler with a 1.5TB disc where the superdrive went. Everything worked great... until it didn't. Both the primary drive and second drive now will not stay mounted. I have tried several replacement drives. The drives that didn't work in the MacBook Pro work fine on a USB outboard drive bay. I had an Apple licensed technician run full diagnostics and got nothing.

So.. I had 2TB. Looking at a 2014 MacBook Pro 15 Retina. There is no 2.5 inch drive bay in this machine. No user serviceable parts. I saw the breakdown and the SSD disk is just a strip of memory chips. The largest config is 1TB. So I will have to pay $3000 for my smaller screen and cut half my 1.2TB iTunes library. Good grief.

If anyone knows a fix for the drive unmounting (usually after about 20 minutes), please let me know.

Dec 14, 2014 4:01 PM in response to Brad Shuler1

Just telling you guys, that 2011-12 MacBook Pros does NOT support Sata 3 interface in the optical bay.

Apple tells you they do, also sys info tells you too, however they don't. If you use them, there will be I/O problems. Sata 2 interface can be used without problems in the DVD bay. The main bay, can be used for both Sata 3 and 2.

13' laptops CAN support Sata 3 in the optibay too, but 15 and 17' models cannot.

I have a late 17' model, and I am having the same issue. I want 2TB in the optibay, but seems there aren't any sata 2 interfaced drives out there.

Also, I have to mention that there WAS no point of drive makers to use Sata 3 on HDD's, since a HDD is only capable of maximum 180MB~ /s reading speed, which Sata 2 could easily handle. (Sata 2 has a cap of around at 330MB/s and Sata 3 is around 660MB/s, thats why apple uses PCIE SSD's in their laptops now, to be able to achieve 900MB-1GB/s speeds.

how can I get 2tb in a new macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.