Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.jnlp file will not open with java

I am in a class that is requiring us to open a .jnlp simulation. I have tried everything that I can think of and I cannot get this to open. please help!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 6, 2013 1:00 PM

2 replies

Sep 6, 2013 2:43 PM in response to jmsauder

It likely requires 32-bit Java, and perhaps changing the settings on the security section of the Java control panel.

If you are using the Oracle Java 7, then it likely won't work at all.

You must be using Apple's Java 6 and set the order of the JRE to 32-bit first.

I don't have Java loaded, so I can't explain the settings well enough. Take a look at the More Like This links on the right side of this page.

Sep 6, 2013 6:33 PM in response to jmsauder

To lower the risk of malware infection, Safari now downloads Java WebStart application files to a hidden temporary folder and does not open them automatically. Although you may find instructions on the Internet for defeating this protection, I strongly advise against doing so.

The right way to launch a WebStart application is to click the Downloads button at the right end of the Safari toolbar and then double-click the icon of the JNLP file you just downloaded. If you want to save the file for later use, click the magnifying-glass icon to reveal it in the Finder, and then move it. Otherwise it will be deleted at the next login.

In order for this method to work, you must first have selected

Safari Preferences General Remove download list items: Manually or When Safari Quits

.jnlp file will not open with java

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.