Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to automate a plug-in

Hi all

I'm just starting to find my way around Aperture now and really getting to grips with the basics. I've got the Nik collection of software which I'm finding makes the combination great for a hobby photographer.

I've recently seen someone using darkroom with the Nik collection, and he's been able to setup a shortcut key to send a picture into a plugin (eg ndefine), have it do its stuff, then return. It all seemed so seamless and straight forward.

Is something like this possible in Aperture? I've hunted around and it looks like it maybe, by using automator/apple script, but given I'm a newbie, i'm not sure.

Could anyone give any suggestions on what to try?

Many thanks in advanace

Richard

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 6, 2013 2:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2013 4:00 PM

Richard...Click on Aperture's "Photos" menu, then "Edit With Plug-in". A sub-menu with all of Aperture's installed plug-ins will appear. If the Nik Collection was installed properly, you should see it as one of the choices.

If your Nik modules are there, clicking one will first create a new TIF version and pass it to the selected Nik module. When you are done with the Nik edit, the plug-in should return you to Aperture and the TIFF version will contain your adjustments made in Nik.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2013 4:00 PM in response to Frewinr

Richard...Click on Aperture's "Photos" menu, then "Edit With Plug-in". A sub-menu with all of Aperture's installed plug-ins will appear. If the Nik Collection was installed properly, you should see it as one of the choices.

If your Nik modules are there, clicking one will first create a new TIF version and pass it to the selected Nik module. When you are done with the Nik edit, the plug-in should return you to Aperture and the TIFF version will contain your adjustments made in Nik.

Sep 6, 2013 4:25 PM in response to phosgraphis

And in addition to photographis' solution can you assign keyboard shortcuts to the menu items.

I assigned the Shift-X keyboard shorcut to the BoderFX edit plug-in by editing the command set:

User uploaded file

• Use the command: Aperture > Commands
    and select a command set. Duplicate it, to get a copy that you can edit.
  • Then select Aperture > Commands > Customize
  • Select your "Edit" plug-in in the Commands list and type in the keyboard shortcut that you want to use.

You will probably see all plug-ins twice, as edit and export plug-in. Look at the description to the right, to find out which is which.

Regards

Léonie

Sep 7, 2013 2:55 PM in response to léonie

Thanks phosgraphis and Leonie. I've managed get the plug in working and setup a shortcut key to open it. What I'd like to be able to do is have it so that it runs a plug it on either standard settings (eg ndefine) or with preconfigured settings.

Not sure this is possible or too advanced for a newbie like me!

Sep 7, 2013 3:26 PM in response to Frewinr

For standard settings, just hit "Enter" once the Image is in Nik Dfine. (You might have to wait for Dfine to finish processing.)

This could be automated, but maintaining and trouble-shooting the automation to activate a single key-press seems not likely to be worth the time invested.

You can batch w. Nik as well. Select the Images, send them to Nik Dfine, let it do it's processing, and click "Save All".

You could, for instance, flag the Images from today's low-light session that you want to keep and develop, select all the flagged ones, send them to Dfine with your new hot-key, return some phone calls, and when Dfine is done determining the default noise reduction for each file, press and release the "Enter" key. This is the same as clicking the "Save All" button (note the change from the "Save" button when only one file is sent).

User uploaded file

Iirc, there are some instructions in the PDF manual that talk about creating custom defaults. You might have to run Dfine through PS for those to work, however.

HTH,

--Kirby.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

How to automate a plug-in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.