Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When will the wifi issue be resolved for iphone5 ?!?!

OK, i tried to read through & understand all the posts in the '5 page thread regarding WIFI issues for iphone5' but as alot of it doesn't relate to me I'm going to take a stab and see if anyone can help before i sell this **** phone on craigslist and go with a Samsung.

My partner and I have been surfing a wifi connection from our apartment building for a year now (at the start we had our own with a good router and all but it actually didn't even work as well) And it works great! ....well considering it's free, it's pretty **** good. >> Up until a few days ago my 1 month old iphone5 doesn't pick up the WiFi (boyfriend's samsung does no problem, same with our macbook). Now had i not read all the other issues about the wifi for iphone5, iOS 6, etc I would just go sign up for my own internet and pay the fees like a good citizen but now I'm not convinced that will even solve the problem.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this? I've already tried:

>Reset Network Settings

>Restore Settings

>Restore iphone

Or do i give up on Apple and switch over to a Samsung like my boyfriend?

Thanks,
priscilla

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 6, 2013 4:42 PM

18 replies

Sep 6, 2013 6:19 PM in response to priscillafromeastvan

Are you by any chance a graduate of Google U, you know, whose motto is "If it's on the Internet, it must be true"?

There are literally millions and millions of iPhone 5's out there. If there were truly a WiFi issue with the phones, it would make international news. With all the iPhone 5's out there, there will certainly be a few that have issues with WiFi. But the hyperbole you're ascribing to that just makes you look foolish.

Sep 6, 2013 6:41 PM in response to priscillafromeastvan

priscillafromeastvan wrote:

My partner and I have been surfing a wifi connection from our apartment building for a year now

Question, have you been stealing somebody elses internet or does your apartment complex provide a communal network for residents?

In terms of wifi there should have been sufficient steps provided in the numerous threads you read but I'll gladly provide you with an article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1398

Other then that you could take the iPhone into Apple to have it evaluated.

Sep 6, 2013 6:50 PM in response to deggie

The building has a wifi network called "default" with no security, with all other networs locked. I inquired with the manager when i started tenency if we could use it, and who it belonged to and he didn't know or care.

I have tried some of the suggestions being 1) Restore Network settings 2) Restore iphone 3) Reset Settings. The other suggestions i found were related to the router, mostly being Apple Extreme. So since this is more a hardware issue I'm gathering that my only option is to take it into Apple.

Thanks

Sep 6, 2013 6:51 PM in response to priscillafromeastvan

Be sure to make a Genius Bar appointment before you go to the Apple Store.

Give the reduction of devices that are now working it would lend some credence to the idea that they are restricting the number of devices allowed on the network. Or they have changed routers that had the restriction.

Forget the network on the other two devices that are working and see what happens.

Sep 6, 2013 7:03 PM in response to priscillafromeastvan

Since you do not have access to the router, I would also wonder if this generous provider of wifi is also gathering information about all of the users.

Have you tried to connect your iPhone to another wifi network somewhere else, such as work, school, or other public wifi such as a library, Starbucks or the like? Is it able to connect to any other wifi network, or are you not able to connect to any other wifi networks?

It could very well be there is a problem with the router this is making it difficult to connect the iPhone 5, which could be trying to use a different protocol to connect than the Samsung or the Mac computer.

Sep 6, 2013 9:17 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Fair enough about the info gathering possibility..

Re: the networks, it works on some but not on others, and some only some of the time. I forgot to mention that it kept losing connection w/ network at my work, whereas at home and other places it shows that it's connected but the wheels just spin and spin. At secure places (Pizza place, coffee shop) it hooked up & worked no problem w/ password. At a couple other unsecure networks it wouldn't hook up at all (starbucks, another random shop)

And the router was fine with my iphone4 a month ago - but maybe just doesn't like the iphone5?

Maybe it's a problem with the antennae. I was mostly inquiring because it seems from past threads other's have replaced their phones (as well as other tactics) and the wifi issue continued.

When will the wifi issue be resolved for iphone5 ?!?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.