Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AVI files won't import into FCPX

Hi - I'm trying to import a number of small .avi files into FCPX but each time I try I get the message "No importable files - None of the selected files or folders can be imported. Change the selection and try again.".

The files don't play in Quicktime either, but do play in VLC.

The files were all recordeed on a Hitachi DZ-HV575E Camcorder.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 7, 2013 12:13 AM

12 replies

Jul 24, 2017 3:10 PM in response to PBurko

FCP 10.2 on my iMac reads avi files. FCP 10.3 on my macbook pro does not. On the iMac, I put 10.2 in the trash and installed to 10.3 and it stopped reading them . I took the old one out of the trash (to the desktop), threw out 10.3 and moved the old one into applications. I rebooted the computer. Now I can read avi files on the iMac. Apple took the codec out of the new version.

Dec 7, 2016 1:41 AM in response to PBurko

Final Cut Pro is not compatible with AVI video. Though the newer version like Final Cut Pro 7 or Final Cut Pro X adds the support for AVI format, it still cannot import all kinds of AVI files. For AVI is a container video format which may contain various video or audio codec, if the AVI codec is not compatible with Final Cut Pro, we will fail to import AVI to FCP; or even successfully import to FCP, but the import AVI files will still not playable or editable.

You may try this method to solve can't import AVI to Final Cut Pro.

AVI files won't import into FCPX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.