Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacing a word in Dictionary

I have a problem when incorrectly typing the as "teh" which I am very prone to to do.

When I try to correct it, in Apple's Mail (v 6.5 1508), by right clicking (mountain lion) it tells me that the word "teh" exists when right clicking on it, I get the choice to Look Up "Teh" and gives this dictionary explanation for it.

"Teh" is an Internet slang neologism most frequently used as an English article, based on a common typographical error of "the". Teh has subsequently developed grammatical usages distinct from the. It is not common in spoken or written English outside technical or leetspeak circles, but when spoken, it is pronounced /tɛ/ or /tə/.

When I type in TextEdit (v 1.8), the word "teh" is automatically changed to "the" as I have it in the text substitutions in the system preferences.

In Apple's Pages (09 v4.3) when typing "teh", it is underlined in red and right clicking gives me the choice of correcting it.

How can I remove the reference to teh in the dictionary for Apple's Mail?

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 7, 2013 12:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2013 10:27 AM

The definitions dictionary has nothing to do with spell check. You can't edit the New Oxford Dictionary dictionary, and it wouldn't have any effect on spell check even if you could. (In fact, the "definition" of teh that you are seeing is from Wikipedia, not from a dictionary at all.)

It sounds like spell check might not be working in Mail. Is it turned on in Mail?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2013 10:27 AM in response to videoz

The definitions dictionary has nothing to do with spell check. You can't edit the New Oxford Dictionary dictionary, and it wouldn't have any effect on spell check even if you could. (In fact, the "definition" of teh that you are seeing is from Wikipedia, not from a dictionary at all.)

It sounds like spell check might not be working in Mail. Is it turned on in Mail?

Replacing a word in Dictionary

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.