Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change iCloud account/email address

Hello,

I recently got rid of my old email account that was synced to my iPhone (deleted it from my iphone email accounts) and got a new email, and added it to my email accounts on my iPhone, which is now my primary email account. However, my iCloud account and my apple ID user name are still the old email account. In other words, when I go to Settings/iCloud on my phone, under iCloud Account is has my old email address. I want to change this. I like continuity and I want my account to reflect the fact that I have a different email account. I also want my iCloud syncs to apply to my new email account, but I don't want to destroy my iTunes or anything. My iCalendar DOES sync to my new email calander (outlook). What should I do? Thanks!

GarageBand (Mac) '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 7, 2013 6:29 AM

2 replies

Aug 1, 2016 3:20 PM in response to Goody7

I Recently had this same problem where I changed my apple email address, but it still had my old one on my iCloud account and on my iTunes account. I signed out on each account then signed back in with the new email address/Apple I.d. Don't worry about losing anything-I didn't. I had to repeat this process on each of my 4 different devices, and my old iPad 2 was the hardest. You will have to sign up your cards again in your wallet though. After you've signed back in with your new email/Apple ID, it will ask you if you'd like to Merge your info which keeps your stuff. I honestly didn't lose any pics or music. When you're signing out of your old ID/email, it asks you what you would like to do with your info. The choice i picked was to keep it on my iPad, so your device will give u the options to save your important info. before and after the sign out & sign in. Like I previously stated, I had to repeat this process on all my 4 devices: 2 iPads, iPod touch and an iPhone 6s Plus., so I wouldn't give u this advice if I wasn't sure. If you've already fixed this problem, great, but if u haven't please lmk. Thanks.

Aug 1, 2016 4:25 PM in response to SandiSueWho

There is an Apple Article that outlines the order that you should do things when changing your Apple id email:

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support - The VERY first thing you want to do is to sign your old Apple ID email address out of everyplace you have it signed in on either your iDevice or your Mac or Computer (makes things easier in the end.... 😐 )

Actually, I think this is a better link to use, although it reminds you everywhere you need to log back into again, the opposite would be true when logging out, seems like to me.

THE REALLY BIG THING THAT IS NOT EMPHASIZED ENOUGH OR TO THE DEGREE THAT IT SHOULD BE IN MY OPINION IS THAT BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!!!!!

GO TO EVERY DEVICE, MAC, COMPUTER THAT YOU HAVE ICLOUD SIGNED INTO, AND SIGN IT OUT. THE ACT OF DOING THAT SIGN OUT WILL CAUSE YOU TO SIGN IN TO TURN OFF "FIND MY IPHONE", AND TRUST ME, HAVING THAT OFF BEFORE YOU START CHANGING ANYTHING WILL SAVE YOU A WORLD OF HURT!!!

Best of luck,

GB

Change iCloud account/email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.