Hi - entering the depths of confusion aroud this one - I am going to include as much info as possible but not sure what is relevant:
- running 21" 2011 iMac intel, Mountain Lion 10.8.4, Safari version 6.0.5
- started having problems today with Safari after a couple of months of owning this second hand computer, no previous issues at all
- this stuff might not be relevant but you never know:
- had been working in iPhoto creating a photo book as a gift on my wife's user account - this was assembling but not completing upload and repeatedly getting error message at final stage
- I went to check disk permissions and were all OK so I did not repair
- I restarted iPhoto with shift / cmmnd held down and did the rebuild of thumbnail cashe and repair options, one after the other
- I restarted in Safe Mode and tried to do the photo book that way - still didn't work
- I restarted normally and then tried the book again - this time it uploaded and ordered fine
- went back to my user account and tried to start web browsing on safari - it crashed repeatedly and so far I've not been able to get it working (tried about 30 times, restarts etc)
- researched what to do - seems Safari is integral to OSX so assuming it's pretty improtant that it works but can't be downloaded as a seperate programme
- investigated OSX Reinstall options on Apple Support - thought this looked like the right route to take
- Restarted with Command+R doing this over WIFI connection and got to the reinstall section and typed in my apple ID, but of course it doesn't recognise that my ID purchased Lion on this iMac so won't let me go any further.
Any suggestions on cause or solutions?
iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), upgraded to 6GB 1333MHz DDR3