Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting old HP printer to 10.7.5 Mac

I am trying to connect a HP photosmart C4200 printer to my Mac running 10.7.5. The Printer's installer is supported by Mac OS X v.10.3.9, Mac OS X v.10.4.x. Is there any way to run on my newer Mac?

Posted on Sep 7, 2013 7:10 AM

4 replies

Sep 7, 2013 8:04 AM in response to marthk

I checked HP's Web site and the printer is listed so HP no longer supports it. The Mac printing architecture has changed quite a bit with the last couple releases of the OS so without HP support there's only one possible solution - besides buying a new printer. You can check out this website. CUPS might support your printer but there's no guarantee.

Sep 7, 2013 8:59 AM in response to dwb

Well, there's another way to use the printer if you have an old computer with a compatible OS. In my case, I used an old laptop running Tiger. The printer (a Laserjet 1500) was connected to the laptop which was set up to share its printer. After that, to print I needed to make sure the printer, the laptop and the mini were all turned on (the laptop and mini were both connected to my home network). There were some issues while I sorted out where and how to adjust the print parameters, but the system functioned fine for almost a year before I replaced the working printer with one that was compatible with Lion.

srb

Sep 7, 2013 12:49 PM in response to marthk

marthk wrote:

I am trying to connect a HP photosmart C4200 printer to my Mac running 10.7.5. ...Is there any way to run on my newer Mac?

Did you try adding the printer yet? That is, System Preferences > Print & Scan > + (button)

There was an update in April 2013 to the HP Printer Drivers. You could go to the Apple menu, select Software Update..., and see if HP Printer Drivers v2.14 shows. If yes, update. Alternatively, you can manually download from Apple here and note the link there takes you to a list of the drivers that includes the HP PhotoSmart C4200 series.

HTH

Connecting old HP printer to 10.7.5 Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.