Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I fix an Apple mail account that is "confused"

Last week I moved a mail account from one host provider to godaddy.

I updated the incoming and outgoing mail servers in Apple Mail and did a "Get Mail".

Two new messages came in so it appeared everything was fine, however I realized Mail

was not retrieving any other new messages. Mail does not report any errors, just does

not retrieve messages.

When I "Get Info" on the account I can see 75 unread messages under "All messages on POP server".

For some reason Mail will not retrieve them.

I can log into the account via webmail and confirmed that the password is correct, and that the account

is working properly.

I have deleted the account in Apple Mail several times and recreated as POP and IMAP with the same

result.

Apple Mail seems to have "memorized" the account even after I delete it, it acts as if some preference

has incorrect information about which messages have been downloaded?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Keith

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Sep 7, 2013 9:05 AM

4 replies

Sep 7, 2013 11:28 AM in response to Tiredhead

Hi Keith,

1st...

Make a new Smart Mailbox that only includes Unread Mails, do they show in that Smartbox?

In Mail's Window Menu, choose Connection Doctor, any red dots for status, if so what is the message?

Then click the Show Details button & Check again.

2nd...

Not certain, but this can fix myriad Mail problems...

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), it will try to repair your Disk Directory while the spinning radian is happening, so let it go, run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, then move this folder & file to the Desktop.

Move this Folder to the Desktop...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Caches/Mail/

Move this file to the Desktop...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail/Envelope Index

Reboot.

If that doesn't do it and you can afford to redo all your Rules, try these & reboot...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail/MessageRules.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail/MessageRules.plist.backup

Note, in 10.5 & up /Users/YourUserName/Library/Caches/Mail/ may or may not exist.

The Password rejection can confuse people since it's a catch all meaning...

This Password, Username, Authentication method... is not recognized on this Port to this Server, more than one entry in Keychain for each in/out entry, or a server end problem.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but one of the other ones.

The receiving email ports are:

IMAP is port 143

IMAP-SSL is port 993

POP is port 110

POP-SSL is port 995

Outgoing ports are...

SMTP and SMTP-SSL is on ports 25, 587 and 465. Port 587 has to be SSL, and port 465 is enforced TLS-wrapped and is generally used by Outlook users.

Sep 9, 2013 12:00 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you for the suggestions BDAqua!

The new Smart Mailbox was unable to retrieve any new messages.

Something strange about Connection Doctor, at the top of the window it reports "Internet Connection Status: "Mail was unable to connect to the internet, click the "Assist me..." button for help diagnosing the problem." (this report is false because the other two accounts work). When I click Assist me as instructed Network Diagnostics reports "This computer's Internet connection appears to be operating normally. Are you sure you want to use Diagnostics?"

All other status lights are Green within Connection Doctor, it reports "Connection and login to server succeeded" with all three mail accounts and all three smtp servers.

In safe mode, Disk Utilities repaired some permissions, no disk repair was required.

After moving the Cache files, Envelope Index and rebooting, Mail went through the Message Import process but there was no change.

I remvoved MessageRules.plist and backup, still no change.

I'm not getting a password rejection, no rejection or error at all.

In Keychain access I deleted every entry having to do with mail accounts and servers. I reentered passwords in Mail accounts and still no change.

I'm using no SSL and ports check out.

After all the above I'm still in the same situation, have not found a way to create a new account that is capable of retrieving from my main email box. Very frustrating, I can't seem to figure out a way to bypass the "hidden" library file that's corrupt.

It's curious that the setting in Accounts>Advanced>"Account Directory" there is a "choose" button but you can't click it. I was hoping I could chose a new location to fix the problem.

Thanks for all your suggestions,

Keith

How do I fix an Apple mail account that is "confused"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.