Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt to firewire 800?

Hi there. So I recently purchased one of the new LaCie Rugged external drives with USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt. I currently have a 2008 macbook pro with firewire 800 and USB 2.0. I bought this drive because I plan on buying a new macbook when the new model is released (which will include a thunderbolt port), but in the meantime I am wondering if there is any pobbile way for me to use this drive with my current computer? I am a video editor, and editing off of the drive with USB 2.0 will not cut it.

I understand that my logic board cannot support Thunderbolt connections, but I am wondering if there is any type of adapter available that I have not been able to find? I would need a female thunderbolt to male firewire 800 adapter, not the other way around. I have found the opposite, in the link below.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD464ZM/A/apple-thunderbolt-to-firewire-adapte r?fnode=51

Does anyone have experience with these? If I bought this adapter and also a female to female thunderbolt coupler, and a male to male firewire 800 coupler, can the adapter work in the opposite direction?

Please help!

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 7, 2013 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2013 10:57 AM

There's simply no way - and no adapter - that will allow you to use the Thunderbolt port on the drive for the 2008 MBP. Until you get a new computer, you're stuck with USB 2.0 speeds.

Sorry,

Clinton

2 replies

Thunderbolt to firewire 800?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.