Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac Mini loses wifi connectivity once every other hour...

I noticed last night that web pages in Safari weren't loading at all, and that my Internet kept disconnecting me every couple of minutes. I restarted Time Capsule thinking it was the culprit. A few minutes later, the same symptoms persisted. This time, I simply turned Mac Mini wifi off and on, and that seemed to temporarily work each time. So that led me to believe that Time Capsule was fine, and that something was happened to my Mac Mini that required me to disconnect and reconnect to the network. Today, I've purposely been streaming music from the web to see how long it takes to lose signal. It hasn't been every few minues like last night. However, it's been just about every two hours. I turn the Mac Mini wifi off then on - and it's fixed. So what might be causing this? I will say the Internet speed is great when it works. But it's either there - or it isn't.

Thank you!

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Sep 7, 2013 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2013 12:53 PM

Hi, this has worked for a few...

Though all of these steps may or may not be needed, I'm including them all.

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

10.5, 10.6, 10.7 & 10.8…

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

10.5.x/10.6.x/10.7.x/10.8.x instructions...

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

If using Wifi/Airport...

Instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2013 12:53 PM in response to BMBell1919

Hi, this has worked for a few...

Though all of these steps may or may not be needed, I'm including them all.

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

10.5, 10.6, 10.7 & 10.8…

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

10.5.x/10.6.x/10.7.x/10.8.x instructions...

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

If using Wifi/Airport...

Instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

Sep 7, 2013 2:55 PM in response to BMBell1919

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.
The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, or by corruption of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled on some models, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain iMacs. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.
The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Sep 10, 2013 2:55 PM in response to BDAqua

Okay...so I owe you an apology, BDAqua. After having my own "light bulb" go off - I realized I was misunderstanding your suggestion. Your instructions were quite easy, and yet I somehow managed to twist them up. I did, in fact, take your advice upon realizing my error. Problem solved. How 'bout that? So make your percentage 70% - and thank you.

Sep 11, 2013 6:03 PM in response to BDAqua

I suppose for me I was trying to understand which steps were needed or not, or if there were two different suggestions altogether. I didn't know how the steps were separated without seeing them numbered or lettered. Again, when it dawned on me that I realized I understood what you were suggesting, applying the fix was quite easy!

But here's my unfortunate follow-up...and I am going to start a new discussion I think. Last night, the wi-fi was dropping incredibly frequently. Literally every couple of minutes. I ran a wireless diagnostic test (the one included with ML). It kept telling me when the signal dropped. As if I didn't already know ha...

In the log it created, I saw the phrases "already associated to" with my network name then "bailing on auto-join" immediately afterword. I've been trying to translate what that means into plain speech in hopes that perhaps it suggests a cause. So my discussion question is pretty much along the lines of does anyone know what that means(?).

Thanks again for your insights. I will certainly look for any further thoughts you may have.

Sep 12, 2013 12:09 PM in response to BMBell1919

Thanks for the input... mulling how to express it clearer now. 🙂

Might start a new topic to get the most helpers in on it, rarely do threads marked solved get attention, except for people looking for solutions.

"already associated to"

Is this after sleeping?

Check Sys Prefs>Sharing for Computer Name when this happens... is there a strange number after it?

Dec 11, 2013 10:52 PM in response to BMBell1919

I just found this thread as I was having similar issues I will try the network location thing later.

However just thought I would mention that EFI and SMC updates on my Macbook Air that was also having issues connecting and staying connected to a 5GHz wireless network fixed its problem.

It might be worthwhile plugging your mac mini into LAN and running all software updates to see if any changes occur.

Bailing on autojoin can mean there is a mismatch between what is saved in your keychain and what the network expects but I really doubt it.

My Mac Mini loses wifi connectivity once every other hour...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.