Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm trying to reset my macbook to factory settings, but when I try, the recovery hard drive is not showing up. How can I do this while still at home?

I want to restore my macbook pro to it's factory settings. When I search how to online, it says to hold down the option button while restarting the computer and then two options will appear, the mac option and recovery option. But only my current mac option appears and not my recovery hd. How do I continue doing this at home without a recovery hd?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 7, 2013 8:09 PM

3 replies

Sep 7, 2013 9:39 PM in response to Paver003

Try the Command-R method described in the HT4718 article you attached:

Recovery System

OS X Lion or OS X Mountain Lion includes a built in set of utilities in the Recovery System. Restart your Mac and hold down the Command key and the R key (Command-R), and keep holding them until the Apple icon appears, indicating that your Mac is starting up. After the Recovery System is finished starting up, you should see a desktop with a OS X menu bar and a "Mac OS X Utilities" application window. Note: If you see a login window or your own desktop and icons, it is possible that you didn't hold Command-R early enough. Restart and try again.

In order to reinstall OS X Lion or OS X Mountain Lion, you will need to be connected to an Ethernet or Wi-Fi network. The Wi-Fi menu item is in the upper-right corner of the screen. Click the icon to display all available Wi-Fi networks. Click your preferred network name and, if needed, enter a username and/or password.

I'm trying to reset my macbook to factory settings, but when I try, the recovery hard drive is not showing up. How can I do this while still at home?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.