Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have they replaced DVD Studio Pro? I can't find it in the Apple Store.

My new computer needs FCP and DVD Studio Pro.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 7, 2013 10:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2013 11:08 PM

Discontinued in 2011 without a replacement.

FCS 2009 still works in Mac OS X 10.8x, if you can find a copy to buy anywhere.

9 replies

Sep 8, 2013 11:04 AM in response to Barnabas

Hi

And there are at least three working - but in a way very simple options from Apple still

• FinalCut Pro X - can make simple Video-DVDs

• Compressor™ - also for (as I get it - simple but very good .mpg2 codes - few menu's)

Free DVD Creator.app - free from Apple Store

But that's all from Apple today

iDVD and DVD Studio Pro - was so much better !

If there is no iDVD on Your Mac (and it's not on newer Macs as Apple discarded it) then You need a program that can do this.

Your Mac can burn CDs and DVDs - BUT DVD as Data-DVDs not as Video-DVDs - they need a program to be encoded and STRUCTURED as such.

• iDVD is part of the boxed version of iLife'11 and can only be bought outside Apple as on Amazon and e-bay

• DVD Studio pro - Part of FinalCut Studio Pro bundle - this to has expired and can only be bought second handed. (High price and tough learning Curve - but best ever done.)

• Roxio Toast™ - Not as elegant as iDVD - but has many other positive additions (I like it as 10-Pro incl BD-component) (now version 11)

• Burn - only free alternative I know of on internet. Very simple - Just for doing a plain Video-DVD

Burn http://www.digital-digest.com/software/Burn.html

only You can buy from Apple is

• FinalCut Pro-X which also can burn to DVD but without any nice themes.

• Free DVD Creator.app - free from Apple Store

AppleMan1958

You can also buy Compressor from Apple for $50 US. It will also create DVD and BluRay but without the nice themes.

Yours Bengt W

Sep 11, 2013 11:14 AM in response to Barnabas

Why did Apple buy SHAKE, a high end compositing application used on KING KONG, amongst others, and then quietly discontinue it? So they could take some small part of the code and put it into iMovie and FCP (image stabilization).

They also thinkt that tape capture/output no longer is needed.

Apple has a habit of tossing out things before the rest of the world is done using them.

Sep 11, 2013 11:49 AM in response to Shane Ross

Shane Ross wrote:

Why did Apple buy SHAKE, a high end compositing application used on KING KONG, amongst others, and then quietly discontinue it? So they could take some small part of the code and put it into iMovie and FCP (image stabilization).

Re: Shake: Not to mention all the 2d compositing for the Lord of the Rings triology...

They also thinkt that tape capture/output no longer is needed.

Apple has a habit of tossing out things before the rest of the world is done using them.

What Apple has is a habit of avoiding the software maintenance on products that have passed their peak profitability, especially when they have a strong possibility needing an upgrade as well.

This is exacerbated by inept marketing troops who witnessed the vision and genius of Jobs and attributed the successes to themselves. They'll fall on their collective swords soon enough...

Sep 13, 2013 1:03 AM in response to Barnabas

Barnabas wrote:

Why does Apple stop selling something that works on their latest computers, and people want to buy it?

It's quite simply that not enough people want to buy it.

Apple is now so big and powerful that it's not interested in selling to a few hundred or even a few thousand people.

An item has to sell in the millions for Apple to be even remotely interested.

The upcoming (hopefully) new Mac Pro is an exception to their general policy. Although it will only sell in tiny, uneconomic numbers (by their standards), it is being produced as a rather half-hearted, belated sop to appease a long-standing but comparatively small group of pro users.

Have they replaced DVD Studio Pro? I can't find it in the Apple Store.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.