Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can apple remote desktop work over the internet?

Posted on Sep 8, 2013 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 5:19 AM

Yes.

Open ports 5900 & 3283 on your firewall and forward them to the internal IP address of the mac you want to control. Specifics on how to do this will vary firewall to firewall so consult the documentation that came with your firewall.

Before posting it's a good idea to browse Apple's discussion forum for answers. This particular forum has the answer to your question because it's one that has been asked many, many, many times.

Tony

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2013 5:19 AM in response to howtwoholla

Yes.

Open ports 5900 & 3283 on your firewall and forward them to the internal IP address of the mac you want to control. Specifics on how to do this will vary firewall to firewall so consult the documentation that came with your firewall.

Before posting it's a good idea to browse Apple's discussion forum for answers. This particular forum has the answer to your question because it's one that has been asked many, many, many times.

Tony

Sep 11, 2013 10:48 PM in response to howtwoholla

if your trying to access one computer over the internet. you don't need ARD, you can use apple's build-in VNC program. (go to dock, click on finder, go to menu bar, click go, chose connect to server, type in vnc://address . BUT you would still need to configure your firewall/router.

OR juse use a serivce like logmein.com . Then you don't have to configure your firewall. You don't have to worry about your IP address changing. If you use the payed vertion it also has AUDIO. (some thing ARD/VNC dose not currently do)

Feb 5, 2014 7:10 AM in response to TeenTitan

logmein is only availiable for money starting 2014

at the same time it is a bit irrelevant to use 3rd party apps if you have so called "white ip" and you have puchased ARD, everything else is build-it.

teamviewer could be a solution in any other case, still ARD works faster and lighter

just ports transfer and switching on remote management or screen sharing in the settings - the best solution

Apr 19, 2014 9:45 AM in response to asweetcow

I set everything up in the US, went to another country and ofcourse nothing works. Connected 2 macs I brought with me, some things changed automatically, but cannot access macs in the US ((

Paid for ARD - still not working, checked all IPs and other parameters - everything is fine, matches and cannot figure out what the problem is. Would give up, if would not pay for ARD (

If anyone has step by step instraction for setting up ARD would really appreciate it!

Apr 28, 2014 2:55 AM in response to avipty

Well. have you tried to reach you remote computer form the internet before leaving? Any place out of you home network are good: internet cafe or your friends house or something like this/

ARD does it well. I can connect my computers in London and Moscow even I'm in Brazil or Hong Kong.

There is def problem with your settings in the system, network devices. Do you know how to use ARD, btw?

May 20, 2014 8:56 AM in response to asweetcow

No, I did not. I just established connection through vnc local network. Then from another coutnry I installed ARD and still cannot figure out how to set it up.

I don't know how to use ARD or how to set it up. Apparently, everything I have read and have done did not help.

I was reading ARD guide, but some of the options are not available.

May 23, 2014 9:45 AM in response to avipty

Well, if you have white ip and you want to connect form the internet you should go to "Scanner tab" choose "Network address" in the list then type there ip address of your computer. That's it.

It that doesn't work then there must be a problem with you local network. First you must set up port forwarding on your WiFi router (is it done?) if you using router at home.

Try to ping your ip from the command panel.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.