Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does itunes perform a backup before doing a data restore?

I am being a little hopeful here.

How it all started was that my husband's iphone contacts suddenly had all the names disappearing -- all that was left were the numbers.

Then in reading the threads, all suggestions only led to Verizon support solutions and we are from SG and this offering is not applicable.

Hence, we did a manual backup re-store from a backup file dated mid July 2013; not realizing:

- that the restore did not provide us an option to only re-store the contacts but actually did an overhaul overwrite of data until mid-July 2013.

So my question is, is there any chance that iTunes may have done a backup somewhere before it performed the data restore?

Or can I roll-back and undo the above operation? (My fault, I didn't think of synching the whole iPhone with the photos and everything else first earlier today to see if that fixes the missing contact names issue.)

I would really appreciate if anyone can offer any advice.

My hubby is really upset that he's lost about 2 mths of :

a. photos as well as

b. whatsapps messaging

If anyone knows of how I can recover either of the above, I would really appreciate it.

thanks

Em - A wife in big trouble

iPhone 4S

Posted on Sep 8, 2013 11:30 AM

2 replies

Sep 8, 2013 11:57 AM in response to wjosten

In the device backup, he sees one that says:

8 Sep 2013 11.59PM but it has a further extension that says 9 July 2013 9.16pm

In his pc directory, he sees 2 folders ....mobilesync\backup\

One folder dated 9 July 2013

Another dated 8 Sep 2103

However, when he moves the 9 July folder outside of the above directory, then in

iTunes>Preferences(under the edit men in Windows>Devices

It shows there is no backup -- even though in the above directory, the 8 Sep 2013 folder is there.

So we are at a loss as we can't figure out which way to go from here.

Does itunes perform a backup before doing a data restore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.