Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring all data (programs etc) from an old Imac to a new one

Am awaiting the delivery of my new iMac. I want to transfer everything from the old one. Is it as simple as using migration asisstant, Time machine and my external drive??

Posted on Sep 8, 2013 6:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2013 6:24 PM

I'd recommend using Setup Assistant, rather than Migration Assistant. They are cousins, very similar but different. When you first turn on any new Mac it starts Setup Assistant, it will come to a point and ask if you want to migrate from another Mac. Choose yes and follow the on-screen prompts. The most reliable method is migrating using a back up from either Time Machine or from a bootable clone created in either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. Make sure you have the proper cables and follow the on-screen instructions.

The difference between SA and MA is SA will not create a new user account, whereas MA will.

To find out more about SA and MA please click on Pondini's guide which you can find by clicking Lion or Mountain Lion Setup Assistant tips

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2013 6:24 PM in response to Michaelc2204

I'd recommend using Setup Assistant, rather than Migration Assistant. They are cousins, very similar but different. When you first turn on any new Mac it starts Setup Assistant, it will come to a point and ask if you want to migrate from another Mac. Choose yes and follow the on-screen prompts. The most reliable method is migrating using a back up from either Time Machine or from a bootable clone created in either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. Make sure you have the proper cables and follow the on-screen instructions.

The difference between SA and MA is SA will not create a new user account, whereas MA will.

To find out more about SA and MA please click on Pondini's guide which you can find by clicking Lion or Mountain Lion Setup Assistant tips

Transferring all data (programs etc) from an old Imac to a new one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.