7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2013 3:49 PM by Simon Southerin
Simon Southerin Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Heya Guys!

Not sure this is in the right place so please move it if needed.

Ok, so I have an external hard drive, and I am trying to back up my mac through Time Machine. My issue is that it gets to a certain point where it will say 'The backup was not performed because an error ocurred while copying files to the backup disc. The problem may be temporary. Try again later to back up. If the problem persists, use Disk Utility to repair your backup disk'. 

I repair the disc, and I thought I'd figured it out it, but now every single time it tells me to repair the disc. I have bought a brand new hard drive to do this with and it had the same thing.

Also it will get to saying that it has only 148 mb to go, will do it really quick then will go on to back up more data that wasn't there before in the bar, and then will say as above about disc repair.

I have no idea if it is actually backing up, as when I look into my hard drive, the .(file format) is .inprogress and the time machine sign always ends up saying back up failed.

I haven't a clue how to resolve this, so any help would be wonderful. Even if someone could just reassure me that yes it has backed up properly, that would be brilliant.

The hard drive I am using for this is a Seagate GoFlex 500GB and I did buy a Seagate External 1TB that I partitioned so I could use it on a Mac to use it with originally, but reverted back to my GoFlex.

Thanks,

Simon

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • Klaus1 Level 8 Level 8 (46,465 points)

All you could ever need to know about Time Machine:

http://pondini.org/TM/Home.html

(from ASC contributor Pondini)

• Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,720 points)

Simon Southerin wrote:

. . .

'The backup was not performed because an error ocurred while copying files to the backup disc. The problem may be temporary. Try again later to back up. If the problem persists, use Disk Utility to repair your backup disk'.

Not one of Apple's better messages. 

Most likely, there's a problem with a file on your system.  See #C3 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting.   It will show you how to locate the message(s) that describe the problem, then help you fix it.

• Simon Southerin Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I've just run Carbon Copy Cloner to back it up too and that has revealed where the problems are. Most of these I already have on my External Hard Drive safe but not the others, and since it is my first ever back up I don't want to delete something off my Hard Drive that I can't get back on it somehow. The problem areas are below:

ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver (located in system/library/extensions/atiradeonx2000gldriver.bundle/contents/macos)

Media Toolbox (located in system/library/privateframeworks/avfoundationcf.framework/support/mediatoolbox/ framework/versions/A/mediatoolbox)

Core AUC (located in system/library/privateframeworks/coreauc.framework/versions/A/coreauc)

I was also told that one of my files needs to be repaired as it failed to open, but I have no idea how to do it. It is located here: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner

I'm guessing these are what is causing my issues, but I'm not exactly computer savvy when it comes to these sorts of things, so I don't know whether deleting them is a good idea, especially when I'm not sure if they are on a disc somewhere or not.

Thanks for the help so far guys! :-)

Simon

Simon Southerin wrote:

. . .

I don't want to delete something off my Hard Drive that I can't get back on it somehow.

Nobody has said a word about deleting anything.

#C3 shows how to exclude items, so you can back up everything else, then investigate the problems.

All the files listed are part of OSX, in your System Library.

After you have a good backup, see if there are any directory problems (doubtful) by verifying your internal HD, per #6 in Using Disk Utility. 

Have you seen any other problems lately?

Report the results, and we'll proceed.

I've excluded the items, but when I do, it gets to 26 GB of backing up but then just stops and doesn't go any further than that.

I first had a problem a while back as iTunes refused to work and since then I've also had an issue updating software occasionally and my printer doesn't connect any more to my laptop.

Simon

Simon Southerin wrote:

I've excluded the items, but when I do, it gets to 26 GB of backing up but then just stops and doesn't go any further than that.

A clue may be lurking in your logs.  Use the widget in #A1 of Time Machine - Troubleshooting to display the backup messages from your logs.  Locate the backup in question, then copy and post all the messages here.

I first had a problem a while back as iTunes refused to work and since then I've also had an issue updating software occasionally and my printer doesn't connect any more to my laptop.

Sounds like there may be more going on . . .

This was the message before my latest backup attempt:

Starting standard backup

Backing up to: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb

Ownership is disabled on the backup destination volume.  Enabling.

Backup content size: 180.0 GB excluded items size: 29.8 GB for volume Macintosh HD

No pre-backup thinning needed: 180.21 GB requested (including padding), 465.02 GB available

Waiting for index to be ready (101)

Error: (-36) SrcErr:YES Copying /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreAUC.framework/Versions/A/CoreAUC to (null)

Copied 24.4 GB of 150.2 GB, 166577 of 793634 items

Copied 166577 files (24.4 GB) from volume Macintosh HD.

Backup canceled.

Stopping backupd to allow ejection of backup destination disk!

And this was my latest one. This one however didn't even back up 24.4GB, it only managed 7.3GB

Starting standard backup

Backing up to: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb

Backup content size: 180.0 GB excluded items size: 29.8 GB for volume Macintosh HD

No pre-backup thinning needed: 180.55 GB requested (including padding), 439.65 GB available

Copied 7.3 GB of 150.2 GB, 62 of 793851 items

Copied 62 files (7.3 GB) from volume Macintosh HD.

Backup canceled.