Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie won't import my video from SD card

Hi All,

I cannot get iMovie to import any video from an SD card plugged into my (new) MB Air SD card slot.

The movie was taken with my Canon camera and plays back in the camera perfectly. I've tried copying the contents from the card to the Desktop and tried various iMovie import options but the app merely states there's nothing to import.

Oddly, also when I ask iM to "Import from Camera" it hangs for a minute before the import window opens. When it does open, the green LED on the MB glows. I've checked the import options at the bottom of the window to look for video on the SD card..... nothing, zilch!

What's going wrong people? Help please.

TT

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 8, 2013 9:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 4:06 AM

The problem lies the video format, I guess that your Canon camera takes videos in AVCHD MTS or H.264 MOV in 1080p format, both these two video formats are not supported by iMovie (previous imovie only support 720p videos, the lates version may supports 1080p), you can convert the AVCHD or H.264 MOVto ProRes MOV for iMovie, then you will be able to edit the videos freely in iMovie. the tool you need is just a AVCHD Converter for Mac, which I have been using to convert HD camera videos to iMovie.You can have a try.

<Link Edited By Host>

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2013 4:06 AM in response to Tony T

The problem lies the video format, I guess that your Canon camera takes videos in AVCHD MTS or H.264 MOV in 1080p format, both these two video formats are not supported by iMovie (previous imovie only support 720p videos, the lates version may supports 1080p), you can convert the AVCHD or H.264 MOVto ProRes MOV for iMovie, then you will be able to edit the videos freely in iMovie. the tool you need is just a AVCHD Converter for Mac, which I have been using to convert HD camera videos to iMovie.You can have a try.

<Link Edited By Host>

Sep 8, 2013 11:09 PM in response to hermandaz

Hi "hermandaz",

Thanks so much for your response and help.

I'll certainly give your advice a try.

However (I guess I may be wrong here) I seem to remember iMovie being able to import AVCHD from my camcorder. I know the old iM HD coudn't buit swapping to iM solved this, so I remain puzzled.

But in the end your advice did the trick... pity I have to shell-out on something iM should be capapble of doing in the 1st place... ho-hum! 😉

But thanks again!!

TT

Sep 9, 2013 12:05 AM in response to hermandaz

hermandaz wrote:

… The problem lies the video format, I guess that your Canon camera takes videos in AVCHD MTS or H.264 MOV in 1080p format, both these two video formats are not supported by iMovie…

That's plain nonsense.

http://help.apple.com/imovie/#mov39f84bc2

iM11 DOES support 1080, up to 30p

… nice try to promote your software … 😉

Sep 9, 2013 1:19 AM in response to sueanncoopel

OK guys, whatever:

the bottom line is I still cannot import movies into iM from a mounterd SD card with AVCH files on it, and I cannot understand why.

Fortunately, I have FC Pro on this MB which imports the same files perfectly.

So my original question remains, guys. Where's the error?

(and no I haven't purchased the AVCH converter app... didn't relly think I'd need it.

Thanks for the input so far,

TT

Sep 9, 2013 2:06 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

OK, thanks very much for that, Karsten.

Although I've had this Canon camera for 3 years and I'm convinced I was able to import from the SD card/camera on my MB Pro iMac back home. Unfortunately, I can't actually try the same SD card on those other machins as I'm 7000 miles away from them for the next 2 months 😐

There's certainly nothing special about the Canon.

Is there a "tweek" in iM which I'm missing?

Sep 9, 2013 2:26 AM in response to Tony T

… Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10 …

nice tiny device …

Your cam records in TWO optional 'modes/formats' - AVCHDlite (720) and mjpeg

Problem is:

The moment you 'mix' formats on ONE media, iM gets confused and ignores the files!

You have to erase the non-AVCHD files on the SDcard first, to make iM able to notice the correct video. You should be able to do so in Finder: drag the 'other' files on your local hardddrive (if you want to keep them), erase from card, give iM a second try ....

For future use:

1 format - 1 card

do NOT store mjpg-video on the same card as AVCHD stuff .....

Sep 9, 2013 3:12 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Done that Karsten... no change.

I've just used another camera (Lumix DMC F516), taken a sample movie on a fresh card... zilch. So it's definately iM that's at fault. As said all these movies import into FC. Maybe that's the route I'll use.... at least it just WORKS!

This is driving me nuts .. maybe I need to re-install but that option is 7000 miles away 😢

But thanks so much for your time and help on this, Karsten. Very much appreciated.

TT

iMovie won't import my video from SD card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.