Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What do I do if I do not have a credit card

iPad

Posted on Sep 8, 2013 9:40 PM

35 replies

Sep 8, 2013 10:12 PM in response to Kappy

No, the instructions tell you that if you follow them to create a new account you will create an account that does not require a credit card. And following these instructions with an existing account that does not have a None option will not result in a None option. But it doesn't say anything about this being the only way to have a None option. I have a None option in my account and I did not create it following these instructions and so do many others I have interacted with here.

I have experimented with these instructions in many different countries' stores, cancelling just before finalization and yes, there is a None option every time.

Sep 8, 2013 10:13 PM in response to Dah•veed

I did find that if you have an existing account you can edit your payment options using the Account link under Quick Links in iTunes Store. But this method is not part of the procedure in the previously posted link. Nor is it explained in your previous reply.

If you follow the procedure outlined in the link for creating an account without a credit card, then you must create a new Apple ID and account in order to download the free app - a requirement in the process.

So this information was not "completely false." And, if some of you have other options those options are not universal. So your information is somewhat misleading at best.

Sep 8, 2013 10:26 PM in response to Dah•veed

Ah, so now I'm partly right (your words) rather than completely false (your words.) Rather convenient. 😕

I don't know how this works for you in Texas. Here in Tampa when I follow the instructions to first select a Free Application then click on the Free button I get this dialog:

User uploaded file

I must click on the Create New Apple ID button if I don't already have an account configured. If I do then I am creating a new account that can be set up with no credit card.

If I already have an account and log into iTunes Store, then I must first go to my Account under Quick Links, click on the Edit -> link by my current card entry. Then I can change the option to None.

None of this did I see explained by you in your first post. And, it hardly falls into the category of being "completely false."

So, let's leave it at that.

Dec 29, 2013 3:32 PM in response to Kendra1230belsher

I spoke with Apple Tech Support and they guided me through this. I was trying to get the App Store working on a new iPad mini using a new, but existing Apple ID. To get it to work, I had to go onto iTunes on my main computer (not on the iPad). I had been trying to use the Sign In button, and I was having the issue of being "forced" to enter a credit card, which I did not want to do. Here was the solution I was given, which worked for me.

1. Log out of iTunes, if you are not already. (Or hit Cancel if you're on the Review Payment screen.)
  2. Instead of going into Sign In, go to Redeem under the Quick Links, on the right-hand side, down a bit.
  3. Go through the screens, accepting the EULA, etc. You will get to a Review Payment screen, similar to the one you saw before, but it will have a None button.
  4. You can enter an iTunes card here if you want, but I was able to leave that field blank and still successfully get the account set up, ready to use on the iPad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.