Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect a MBP to a BENQ external monitor using a HDMI cable and a HDMI to mini display adapter?

Hi, I have just bought a brand new HDMI cable and HDMI to minidisplay adapter and tried to connect my Macbook Pro up. The external display knows it is there but it is not getting any signal. I have tried on another TV and it also says no signal and I also tried using another Mac but it still didn't work.

Can anyone help?

MacBook Pro, Charger

Posted on Sep 8, 2013 8:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2013 9:32 PM

Look under About this Mac > (More info) > System Report > Graphics & Displays for your graphics devices.

What needs to happen (and often does not when dealing with TV sets) is that the TV set must be paying attention to that HDMI port when the Mac Powers on. The Mac sends a query to the device, "what is your name, and what are your capabilities?" If the device provides it, this information is reflected under Graphics & Displays.

If it is not shown, the System Preferences > Displays > (Detect Displays) Button is supposed to get the Mac to ask again.

Unless/Until that information is reflected under Graphics & Displays, the device will not show a picture.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2013 9:32 PM in response to andrew286

Look under About this Mac > (More info) > System Report > Graphics & Displays for your graphics devices.

What needs to happen (and often does not when dealing with TV sets) is that the TV set must be paying attention to that HDMI port when the Mac Powers on. The Mac sends a query to the device, "what is your name, and what are your capabilities?" If the device provides it, this information is reflected under Graphics & Displays.

If it is not shown, the System Preferences > Displays > (Detect Displays) Button is supposed to get the Mac to ask again.

Unless/Until that information is reflected under Graphics & Displays, the device will not show a picture.

Jan 22, 2014 7:26 AM in response to andrew286

In some versions of Mac OS X, with the Displays pane open, holding the Option key will show the detect displays button in the lower right.

I am using OS X Mavericks. Where did the Detect Displays button go?

You can find the Detect Displays button in the Displays section of System Preferences. Once there, press and hold the Option key to see the Detect Displays button in the lower-right corner. You can click this button to manually detect another display.

Another technique is to sleep and wake your computer, which will send the detect display sequence as well.

How to connect a MBP to a BENQ external monitor using a HDMI cable and a HDMI to mini display adapter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.