Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility's Checksum has no MD5/SHA1 options

Hi Folks

Some one actually asked the same question here four years ago but no direct solution found.

For me, I did see a screenshot here showing more options available under the DU's Checksum menu though I cannot determine the version of that DU and OS X.

Is there anyone here having the same issue? How could we bring the more options back?

BTW, I know the command-link solutions using MD5 and SHASUM, but I do perfer using GUI based DU.

Thanks,

B

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Sep 8, 2013 10:25 PM

2 replies

Sep 8, 2013 11:15 PM in response to bengmugenr

Disk Utility still has references to MD5 checksums, but the only way to enable it would be to change some hidden preferences setting (set with the "defaults" command in the Terminal), and I don't currently know of any that will do this. There are several third-party checksum utilities that you can use to run a shasum or md5 routine on a file or two.

Sep 8, 2013 11:15 PM in response to bengmugenr

Update:

I called Apple Care regarding this and the Apple support kindly told that this feature has been removed from the latest version of OS X.

I didn't believe this. Therefore, I kept googling this and finally found the solution below. I don't know how to say how good the Apple Care support was.

Solution:

1. Close Disk Utility

2. Open Terminal and run the following command line.

defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility advanced-image-options 1

3. Open Disk Utility, and you will see 11 more options under the Images | Checksum menu!

Disk Utility's Checksum has no MD5/SHA1 options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.