Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Projects & Albums

I accidentally imported some photos into projects when I meant them to go in as albums. Can I now take them from projects & put in albums & then delete the projects without losing the images

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 5:00 AM

9 replies

Sep 9, 2013 5:48 AM in response to jmandelphoto

To elaborate a little on what norbertmuc said - projects are Aperture's storage structure. Each image needs to be in exactly one project. You can use the images in any number of albums you want, but if you delete an image from its project, it will be deleted entirely from your Aperture library.

You may want to have a look at Kirby Krieger's user tip on the rôle of projects and albums:

The Well-Trod Path: a Beginner's Guide to how Aperture's major parts inter-relate

Regards

Léonie

Sep 9, 2013 6:27 AM in response to jmandelphoto

Can I now take them from projects & put in albums & then delete the projects without losing the images

No, if you delete the project you will delete the images.

As has been written above everything imported into Aperture has to be in a project. Albums really contain pointers to the images in the projects not the images themselves.

Have a look at the Aperture user manual especially the sections An Overview of Aperture and Working with the Aperture Library

regards

Sep 9, 2013 8:26 AM in response to jmandelphoto

John, you can merge projects by dragging one project on top of another in Projects view, or dragging images from one project to another.

And you can select images in the projects and add (drag) them to as many albums as you want, but you must not delete the project that is holding the images, unless you want to delete the images.

If the "Projects" section of the inspector is getting in your way, you can hide it temporarily, only remember, how to show it again. Occasionally you will want to access your projects .

To hide all projects hover with the mouse to the right of the caption "Projects" to show the hidden show/hide control and click it.

Sep 9, 2013 8:57 AM in response to jmandelphoto

jmandelphoto wrote:

Can you take a project that you imported & merge it with a previously imported project & then separate it in to albums.

Thank You,

John

As Leonie wrote you can merger whole projects or individual images in the project.

But I have a question, why do you want to merge the projects? If your goal is to have the images in one or more albums you do not need to have all the images in one project before you do this.

Keeping projects a reasonable size will make it easier to manage your images so combining projects might actually make it harder to organize your library.

Sep 9, 2013 12:42 PM in response to jmandelphoto

Hi John -- as Léonie says, go to Projects View, click and drag the source Project and drop it on the target Project. Aperture will ask you to confirm that you wish to put all the Images in the source Project in the target Project. Say "Yes". Note that the Project properties (name, description, etc.) of the target Project are retained and unchanged. The Project properties of the source Project are lost. No established connections between Images and Albums are changed. The only change to the Images in the source Project is the Project that holds them. There are no changes made to the Images in the target Project.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger -- boo-boo.

Projects & Albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.