Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change order of playing podcasts in iPod Shuffle 4g?

Hi

It's annoying when I must listen newest episodes first.

I have been trying to change mode from "shuffle" to "repeat all" and it haven't helped.

Is there any way to change order of playing podcasts or something other what I can do to done it?

Thanks for your help

iPod shuffle, Windows 7, iPod Shuffle 4g

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 6:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 1:31 PM

If you select the podcast as a playlist, using the VoiceOver playlist menu, you cannot change the order.

However, you can create a new playlist in your iTunes library. Add the podcast episodes you want on the shuffle to that playlist. You can mix episodes from different podcasts. Put them in any desired playlist order.

Select the shuffle in iTunes. From the row of buttons that starts with Summary, click on Podcasts. On the shuffle's Podcasts screen, set it to Sync Podcast (if it's not already) and select that playlist from the list under Include Episodes from Playlists.

When you use the shuffle, set the power switch to play-in-order mode. (Podcast do not play from playlists, if it is set to shuffle mode.) Use VoiceOver to switch to that playlist with podcasts. The episodes should play in playlist order.

Going forward, you can just update that playlist in iTunes, adding and removing podcast episodes. The next time you connect the shuffle (or click the Sync button), iTunes automatically updates the shuffle with the same changes.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2013 1:31 PM in response to bartoszka1996

If you select the podcast as a playlist, using the VoiceOver playlist menu, you cannot change the order.

However, you can create a new playlist in your iTunes library. Add the podcast episodes you want on the shuffle to that playlist. You can mix episodes from different podcasts. Put them in any desired playlist order.

Select the shuffle in iTunes. From the row of buttons that starts with Summary, click on Podcasts. On the shuffle's Podcasts screen, set it to Sync Podcast (if it's not already) and select that playlist from the list under Include Episodes from Playlists.

When you use the shuffle, set the power switch to play-in-order mode. (Podcast do not play from playlists, if it is set to shuffle mode.) Use VoiceOver to switch to that playlist with podcasts. The episodes should play in playlist order.

Going forward, you can just update that playlist in iTunes, adding and removing podcast episodes. The next time you connect the shuffle (or click the Sync button), iTunes automatically updates the shuffle with the same changes.

Sep 16, 2013 3:00 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

So when I create a playlist (which name is eg. "xxx") and I put there 3 newest episodes from podcast which name is "yyy" in "the oldest" order (it means that the first episodes in playlist is the oldest from that three ones, and the last one is the newest one), I will listen them and I connect my iPod to PC and turn on syncing with iTunes, will new episodes from podcast "yyy" be added to my playlist "xxx" in "the oldest" order and that 3 episodes (which I listened) will be deleted from playlist? If not, then what will happen? Or what I could do to automatize this proccess. Is there anything what I can do?

PS. Thanks for helping me 🙂

<Edited By Host>

Sep 16, 2013 2:48 PM in response to bartoszka1996

If you create a regular playlist in iTunes, you have to update it manually. Remove old podcast episodes and add new ones, put them in any desired playlist order.

If you want to automate the process, you can probably get what you need using a Smart Playlist. To create a new Smart Playlist, click the plus sign below the iTunes sidebar, and select New Smart Playlist.

Check the box for Match ALL of the following rules. Then add the rules needed to get what you want on the list.

The first rule you need is to put podcasts on the playlist.

Media Kind - is - Podcast

To exclude podcasts that have been played

Plays - is - 0 ("zero")

Those two rules should give you a playlist with unplayed podcast episodes. To include only specific podcasts, not all podcasts, use the checkbox for Match only checked items (and you'll need to uncheck the podcasts you don't want on the iPod).

Also check the box for Live updating.

Click OK. See if that Smart Playlist creates a playlist with the podcast episodes you want. If you need to change the rules, right-click on the Smart Playlist and Edit Smart Playlist. You can post back if you have some other ideas that you want "translated" into rules.

To put the podcast episodes in order by Date Added, select the Smart Playlist in iTunes so that you see the list of items. If Date Added is not one of the columns shown on the list, right click in the list's header area and select Date Added. To sort by Date Added, click on Date Added in the header. Click on it again, if you need to reverse the order.

Sync that Smart Playlist to the shuffle. It should play in the order shown in iTunes.

An iPod shuffle is meant to be a simple device. It doesn't have a screen (where you can change a bunch of preference settings), so it is designed to operate in a certain way. If you need the iPod to work more flexibily, you may want to get an iPod nano instead.

Sep 17, 2013 1:32 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thank you very much, it really helped me.

I've got 3 podcast which I'm subscribing and I did 3 smart playlist (wich names are "*name-of-1-podcast" (etc.)).

I use 3 rules in this playlist - only podcasts, not played and album is the name of podcast.

Now there are the first in voice over, but when I'm in shuffle mode (so when I listen to music) they doesn't exist. It's fantastic.

I'm very happy that exist something like "smart playlist", but I thing that Shuffle shuld have integrated option that when I'm listen to playlist one mode (eg. "shuffle") plays playlist from beginning to the end, and second mode (eg. "repeat all") plays from the end to the beginning. It's (by me) more logical than playling from the newest episode.

Yes, I know that Shuffle is simple device but I think that if not in iPod, then in iTunes shuld be possibility to choose order of playing podcasts.

PS. Today I saw that I can sync my iPod with only one computer. but still I think that it's the best MP3 player in the whole world. Apple's product are restricted but Shuffle is perfect. (BTW. Other products are iShit.)

Sep 17, 2013 2:29 PM in response to bartoszka1996

You can provide product feedback to Apple, about things like a user preference to select podcast playback order, here

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

But with Smart Playlist, you can do a lot of things to overcome limitations. The idea is to make iTunes do the "heavy lifting" and sync the results to the iPod. I have a Smart Playlist that takes all of my music, but excludes some genres that I don't want on my shuffle (such as holiday, soundtrack, and classical music). I then use Autofill to randomly fill my shuffle from that playlist. Since I do the Autofill when I connect the shuffle to recharge, over time, it's like I'm shuffling through my entire iTunes music library.

Now that you know how to use Smart Playlists, you can consider yourself an iTunes "power user." 🙂

Sep 17, 2013 4:09 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

FYI (for the "PS") - You can only sync your iPod to one iTunes library at a time, if you use automatic syncing. If you set it to Manually manage music (on the iPod's Summary screen in iTunes), you can load it from more than one iTunes library. However, the convenience of iTunes automatically updating your iPod when you connect it goes away, because you have to manually drag items to the iPod in iTunes to load them.

Sep 18, 2013 12:08 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thanks for every info that you told me.

Now I can look in diffrent way at iTunes. I think that in nearest future I will have better organised library.

I'm very sad that Apple doesn't have Android app for music but Shuffle is enough.

OK thanks for info but I want to use auto sync 🙂 I can sync iPod only with PC.

Thanks for help one again 😉

Jul 10, 2014 2:51 PM in response to bartoszka1996

Hi. Try this, it worked for me:

• Go to your music library in iTunes (Blue box at top right of screen)
  • Select Podcasts (Box at top left of screen)
  • Go to "List" (On the menu across the top of the screen)
  • Click on "List" and then under that a menu will appear with "Release Date" in the middle
  • Click on Release Date and the order changes to newest first (or oldest first - it's a toggle)

Then resync your iPod and the podcasts should be in the date order you choose.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.