Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are there iPhone 4/4s space requirements for ios 7 update?

I have a 16GB 4S. I've read a couple of articles online saying I will need to "free up quite a bit of space" on my phone if I want to try and update to iOS 7 via OTA. Is this true? And if so, just how much space do I need to make available? I think I have 1.3GB free at the moment. Will this suffice?

- C

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 7:15 AM

4 replies

Sep 9, 2013 7:30 AM in response to BigDaddyChaz

I highly doubt that 1.3GB free will be enough, as that would not be enough to download, uncompress, and install, iOS 6.

OTA updates take more space then doing the update through your computer's iTunes, since your iPhone must have space for the downloaded file, for the uncompressed installer of that download, and then some temp space as it actually installs the updated firmware. As near as I remember, iOS 6 took up something like 600MB of space, but required something closer to 2.5GB of free space for the OTA update download/installation process.

I'd guess you will either need to free up some space (how much we won't know until it is released) or you could try downloading in iTunes and updating from there, instead of an OTA update.

Are there iPhone 4/4s space requirements for ios 7 update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.