Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ergonomic Keyboard Required

Hi everyone.

I just became a Mac user yesterday and I have discovered that there are no reliable ergonomic keyboards for iMac except those sold by Microsoft. My hands are x-large (1.5in larger than the average male) and I'm a software engineer, so I NEED an ergonomic keyboard. I'm going to get one of the MS keyboards, but I've experienced their whimsy in the past (i.e., when they deliberately break their drivers for a competitor's OS). This puts me in a very precarious position. I'm not alone, a simple google search indicates that this has been an issue for many years. Here's an example of a particularly relevant article: http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/24/ask-engadget-best-ergonomic-keyboard-for-a-ma c/.

So, I think the community needs to get together and ask directly for mac to either design an alternative keyboard that is suitable for people with larger hands, or to strike some kind of deal with a company that specializes in this sort of thing. I do not want to be at the mercy of MS for long.

~Jason

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 6:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 6:20 AM

All you or any of us can do is submit feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

If the market demand is there, I'm sure Apple as well as others (logitech for example) would be making these for sale.

12 replies

Sep 4, 2014 11:57 AM in response to iheartchips

I put this into the Apple feedback. Maybe if there was a concerted effort by everybody, things might happen. But we need thousands to let Apple know.

---->

Please, for the sake of all us Mac people be we desktop and/or mobile users, be aware that there is a desperate need for the Apple products to have the option of a true ergonomic keyboard similar to what Adesso used to offer with their Tru-Form line (but now backlit).

Take a look at your keyboards; small, compact, certainly NOT diverse and almost totally useless to those of us who suffer with any form of physical disability associated with their hands and/or wrists. I cannot believe that Apple, which has continually demonstrated how important the human interface is with the product, still continually turns a blind eye to this area. Apple is now big enough to make once again one like you did back in the 80's & '90's. Please.

Thank you. Apple since 1979 & **** proud of it.

Jun 8, 2015 2:22 AM in response to iheartchips

A great solution I've found is to buy any normal ergonomic keyboard - I chose a microsoft sculpt, which is a great keyboard IMO - certainly helps a lot with my RSI:

https://www.microsoft.com/hardware/_base_v1/products/sculpt-ergonomic-desktop/mk _SEDT_large.jpg

Then simply used keyboard stickers (£1 from ebay - search for 'Keyboard layout stickers') to change the letters that weren't matched right; in my case @ " | and ~.

Get letters that match the finish of your keyboard; I went for matte black and barely even notice them. If you're bothered by the windows/alt vs. option/cmd key, you can craft 'alt' and 'cmd' out of the remaining letters on your stickers (in the case of MS Sculpt, get small letters, not chunky ones as it'll look tidier).

I didn't bother doing the latter, but anyway the end result is an excellent ergo keyboard for mac, way less expensive than the custom options available.

User uploaded file

Ergonomic Keyboard Required

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.