Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to copy/paste transfer FCPX to my Mac book pro

Is this possible with having to download from the website? The copy I have was already on the iMac I bought and was wondering how to do this without having to buy it. Also, would like to reformat used Mac book pro, and make like factory before installing new programs.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 8:14 AM

6 replies

Sep 9, 2013 8:42 AM in response to imacdiddi

Re. reformat: if the used machine is running Lion or Mountain Lion and the originally installed OS was a previous one (in other words, the OS was upgraded/purchased from the app store), then the answer is: No, you cannot reformat or reinstall - not until you install your own copy of Lion or ML using your own Apple ID. Tryint to reinstall will result in Apple's servers asking for the original Apple ID used to purchase it. The license for that OS is not transferable and is tied to the original purchaser's Apple ID forever. So, you will need to get the original install disks, boot from it, wipe your drive, reinstall the OS and then go to the app store to purchase the new OS.

And, re.FCPX - if it was purchased from the app store, you can download it again. I have not tried what you want to do, so I do not know if that would work or not. The safe way would be to download on the new machine. If it was purchased via retail disks, then different rules would apply. If your copy was on the iMac when you purchased it (and unless you were given the install disks), then the same rules apply as above: you do not have a legit copy of it as the license for any app purchased at the app store is not transferable either. So, you will need to buy it.

Sep 9, 2013 10:48 AM in response to imacdiddi

imacdiddi wrote:

Is this possible with having to download from the website? The copy I have was already on the iMac I bought and was wondering how to do this without having to buy it.

The key is not possession of the software, but possession of the software license. If the former owner formally transferred the Final Cut Pro X license to you, then you can just download it from the App Store again. If the former owner did not transfer the license to you, they are still the legal license holder with the rights to re-downloads and future updates.

But I think the way it really works is that because FCPX can only be purchased from the App Store, its license is tied to the Apple ID under which it was purchased. Which would be his, not yours. Once you set up the Mac under your own Apple ID, any software you aren't licensed for will probably be deactivated.

Sep 9, 2013 11:25 AM in response to Network 23

The key is not possession of the software, but possession of the software license. If the former owner formally transferred the Final Cut Pro X license to you, then you can just download it from the App Store again

The license can be transferred or sold if the application was purchased as a retail disk. If it was purchased at the app store, then these apply (and the license is not transferable):

User uploaded file

In the real world, it means that if someone sells a Mac with any app that was purchased at the app store, the recipient can run it - albeit it being an illegal copy at that point - until s/he reinstalls the OS or the app is updated, at which point Apple's servers would want the original Apple ID and, unless entered, they won't reinstall.

FWIW, this applies to any app (and OS) obtained at the app store - none of them are transferable.

Sep 26, 2013 8:17 PM in response to imacdiddi

It looks like you've solved your problem, but I think it's slightly different than mine. I have FCP 7 on my macbook pro, and am considering purchasing an imac. The problem is I installed the software at a film studio, one which keeps all of the install discs there. I have my own particular license, but don't think I'll have access to the install discs again. Is this a problem? Can I directly transfer it from drive to drive, or do I need the discs?

I know this is a question within a response, but I figured it would be an effective method in obtaining info.

Thank you!

How to copy/paste transfer FCPX to my Mac book pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.